DESC is a MichiganWorks! Agency providing demand driven recruitment and training services to employers seeking Detroit talent, alongside job search, work readiness and occupational training to job seekers. In Detroit, we expect training to lead to a job…and that jobs lead to careers. DESC provides services to thousands of jobseekers and would-be job seekers, and hundreds of Metro Detroit business through our partnerships with community-based and faith-based organizations, and preferred provider partners, backed by federal, state, local, philanthropic and employer investments. We support thousands of jobseekers looking for employment opportunities. We are on the forefront of ensuring that the City’s resurgence includes its residents. We reach out to Detroiters who are not in the workforce and help them get the training and support needed to compete in today’s market. We are looking for a Human Resources Manager who can help us sustain and accelerate our internal strategies to be a great place to work. Join us and work with us on the front lines where what you do everyday matters.
The Human Resources (HR) Director is responsible for developing and executing human resource strategy and operations in support of the overall business plan and strategic direction of DESC, specifically in the areas of talent management, change management, organizational and performance management, employee engagement, training and development, succession planning, and compensation and benefits. The HR Director provides strategic leadership by articulating HR needs and plans to the executive management team. These include both the development and implementation of strategic HR programs and policies, as well as day-to-day operational management. Reports to the CEO.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Must be well-versed in each of the human resources disciplines – compensation and benefits, training and development, employee relations, and recruitment and selection. Must be skilled in developing plans so that leaders and managers can develop and sustain high morale, while creating a workplace environment that is of benefit to both employees and DESC. Must be able to effectively utilize communication, leadership, and project management skills to get things done. Must be able to analyze situations and proactively identify pertinent problems/issues, collect relevant information, evaluate realistic options, and recommend or implement appropriate courses of action.
- Establish and implement HR efforts that effectively communicate and support the company’s mission and strategic vision and influences corporate culture.
- Function as a strategic business advisor to the executive/senior management regarding key organizational and management issues.
- Work with the company's executive management team to establish a sound plan of management succession that corresponds to the strategy and objectives of the company.
- Develop comprehensive strategic recruiting and retention plans to meet the human capital needs of strategic goals.
- Develop and implement comprehensive compensation and benefits plans that are competitive and cost-effective.
- Provide overall leadership and guidance to the HR function by overseeing talent acquisition, career development, succession planning, retention, training, leadership development, compensation, and benefits.
HR Operational Management
- Critically analyze existing HR programs and policies on an ongoing basis and recommend improvements
- Ensure adherence to all applicable legislation and company policies in all areas of HR operations
- Report to management regarding HR costs and activities
- Mitigate risk by maintaining compliance with federal, state, and local labor laws and regulations
- Demonstrate ability to lead by example, work as part of a team, as well as individually with minimal direction
- Conduct and/or organize employee training and orientation
Benefits and Compensation
- Analyze compensation and other competitive data
- Manage the administration of company benefits
- Supervise benefits, payroll, wellness plans, engagement activities
- Manage and consult with external partners, such as payroll companies and benefits administrators
- Advise employees and managers on employee relations issues
- Work to resolve work related issues to collaboration with management and colleagues
- Regularly monitor employment legislation to ensure ongoing compliance
Performance Management and Employee Retention
- Create and oversee the performance management process
- Provide coaching and guidance to managers on performance management practices within their departments including employee professional development opportunities, and corrective action measures
Training and Development
- Collaborate with company leaders and management to identify employee training and development needs
- Develop or procure appropriate training and development programs to address identified needs
- Offer critical analysis of company training initiatives to ensure that they meet existing needs and align with organizational goals
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations
- Knowledge of and experience with varied human resource information systems
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business or related field strongly preferred
- PHR/SPHR professional certification preferred
- Minimum 10 years of work progressive human resources experience, minimum 3 years of executive HR management experience
- Prior experience working in a non-profit and/or government entity environment a plus
Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation (DESC), an Equal Opportunity employer committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity within the organization. DESC actively seeks applications from women, persons of color, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and other underrepresented groups.