Compile and record client employee time and payroll data. May compute client employees’ time worked, production, and commission. May compute and post wages and deductions, or prepare paychecks on client behalf. Administers HSA and FSA voluntary benefits for clients of CIP.
Knowledge, skills and other capabilities typically acquired through a bachelor’s degree and at least three years of payroll and/or benefits experience.
Personnel and Human Resources – Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and HR information systems.
Voluntary Benefits – Strong Knowledge of voluntary benefits, specifically flexible spending accounts, health savings accounts, and dependent care savings accounts. Preferably strength in understanding group benefit plans, including medical, dental, life, and long-term disability (LTD) insurance as well.
Language – Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar. Bi- and Multi-lingual capacity preferred. Effective organizational, interpersonal and communication skills to include clear and concise verbal and written skills and the ability to communicate complex information clearly and calmly.
Administration and Management – Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
Mathematics – Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra and their applications.
Economics and Accounting – Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, reporting of financial data,
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite, including intermediate Excel skills. Additional systems experience with a relational HRIS system desirable. Strong analytical skills, team player, attention to detail, experience with time-sensitive information and strong customer service skills are required.
- Effective organizational, interpersonal and communication skills to include clear and concise verbal and written skills and the ability to communicate complex information clearly and calmly.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality is expected.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize the workload, and demonstrate flexibility within a high-volume professional environment.
- Process and issue employee paychecks and statements of earnings and deductions.
- Compute wages and deductions, and enter data into computers.
- Compile employee time, production, and payroll data from time sheets and other records.
- Review time sheets, work charts, wage computation, and other information to detect and reconcile payroll discrepancies.
- Verify attendance, hours worked, and pay adjustments, and post information onto designated records.
- Record employee information, such as exemptions, transfers, and resignations, to maintain and update payroll records.
- Issue and record adjustments to pay related to previous errors or retroactive increases.
- Keep informed about changes in tax and deduction laws that apply to the payroll process.
- Provide information to employees and managers on payroll matters, tax issues, benefit plans, and collective agreement provisions.
- Distribute and collect timecards each pay period.
- Compile statistical reports, statements, and summaries related to pay and benefits accounts, and submit them to appropriate departments.
- Process paperwork for new employees and enter employee information into the payroll system.
- Keep track of leave time, such as vacation, personal, and sick leave, for employees.
- Conduct verifications of employment.
- Run payrolls for multiple employers- process weekly payrolls, including compensation changes, terminations, severance agreements, wage garnishments and deal with unforeseen issues. Screen personnel change notices for accuracy and completion, including appropriate signatures and effective dates.
- Main point of HRIS contact
- Identifies areas of improvement and creates efficiencies in payroll processing and benefits administration.
- Effectively handles a large volume of sensitive, benefits-related questions, concerns and issues from employees from a number of employers via the HR Service –CRM system, email and telephone.
- Provides optimal customer service by interfacing with external vendors and internal resources related to benefits. Responds to and resolves complex, sensitive benefits-related questions, problems and general inquiries; interacts with vendors and third party administrators and enrolling, changing or terminating employee coverage.
- Researches policy provisions and solutions, escalating policy issues as required. Schedules and coordinates benefits events such as open enrollment meetings and employee seminars.
- Verifies and/or approves qualifying events, other changes and related payroll deductions for new hires, terminations, and current employees. Ensures timely and appropriate notification to the vendor and/or third-party administrator.
- Audits enrollment information, tracks specified benefits and produces regular reporting. Tracks and collects benefit premiums where applicable for all employees while on unpaid leave.
- Calculates and processes monthly premium invoices for flexible spending accounts, health savings accounts and ensures that wire transfers are accurately transmitted by established deadlines.
- Payroll administrator for 3 - 5 years
- SHRM preferred
- LH&A license encouraged (not required)
- HR experience / knowledge preferred
- Light travel to client appointments (5% time)
- Ability to work in Cambridge, MA on location, Work From Home flexible