JOB SUMMARY: The activities assistant will plan and coordinate programs and activities that are varied, reflect the interest, values and beliefs of the residents and provide life enriching opportunities for residents and the community.
SALARY GRADE: $11.10-$16.40 ***DEPENDENT ON EXPERIENCE
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Meet with residents to determine past and current interests and hobbies.
• Determine preferences of residents.
• Assist in the orientation of new residents to the recreation program.
• Promote health and independence for seniors (65+) through wellness programs and community support. Plan, coordinate, deliver, and promote programs and wellness activities that are varied, reflect the interest, values, needs and beliefs of ESLC participants.
• Provide physical (exercise), social, recreational, intellectual/educational, creative, entertainment, religious, service/volunteering programs and special requests of the residents.
• Conduct and lead activities for Brentland Woods, Rockwood Center and Neighborhood Outreach.
• Assist manager with planning and organizing special social events for Brentland Woods and Rockwood Center.
• Communicate programs and schedule to residents
• Encourage resident participation.
• Communicate all pertinent information to other staff.
• Work cooperatively with other staff.
• Treat all residents with dignity and respect.
• Pursue professional growth through various media, workshops and seminars.
***This position requires you to drive our residents. You will be instructed to go through a driving background check
QUALIFICATIONS: Evidence of creativity. Demonstrated organizational skills. Mature, pleasant, friendly and cheerful personality. Valid New York state driver’s license with a clean driving record and willingness to drive van to transport residents. Ability to interact courteously and tactfully with staff, residents, family members, visitors, vendors and the general public.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma. An Associate’s degree in recreational therapy or similar degree preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Experience in activity planning with older adults preferred. Experience and interest in working with older adults. Experience in public speaking and presentation preferred.