The Assistant Controller works under the guidance of the Controller in preparing and reporting financial statements in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and regulatory requirements. The primary function of this position is to ensure timely and accurate execution of transaction processing, financial reporting, maintain ERP systems, and records management. This position supervises the work, orientation and training of the Accounting staff on department procedures, organizational policies, and best practices to optimize operations and support Bellwether Housing’s mission.
The Assistant Controller will be responsible for the following duties:
• Assist the Controller in the direction of the accounting functions of the organization.
• Ensure timely and accurate publication of financial statements for properties, management, and stake holders.
• Prevent inaccuracies in financial statements by maintaining a system of internal controls.
• Performs periodic reviews of financial data to ensure completeness and accuracy.
Perform variance analysis for reasonableness
Investigate and resolve unexpected variances
• Review staff journal transactions for accuracy, timeliness, proper recognition and classification.
• Supervise the accounting staff, provide technical guidance and tools to enable staff to perform their duties:
Review staff journal transactions for accuracy, timeliness, proper recognition and classification.
Perform semi-annual job evaluations
• Responsible for timely execution of month end close and year-end close process.
• Assist with the annual budget process:
Develop proforma budget templates for Bellwether properties
Assist accounting staff with non-operating budget forecasts
• Review and approve payroll transactions, ensure timely submittal of withholdings, taxes, and preparation of related returns.
• Maintain and secure access to ERP systems
• Perform certain aspects of accounting activities as follows:
Accounting for fixed assets
Accounting for donations
Maintenance of loans records for completeness and accuracy in accordance with governing regulations, grantors and lenders.
• Assist the Controller in preparing for the following year end activities:
Annual audits (Tax Credits and Consolidated):
Preparation and review of audit workpapers and schedules
403 (b) Audit – Work in collaboration with benefits department
Preparation of tax returns – Form 990
• Ensure local and state government tax and annual reports are filed and paid timely.
• BA/BS Degree in the accounting field, along with 7 years of relevant accounting experience.
• Working knowledge of automated accounting systems.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office
• Advanced Excel and data file upload/download skills.
• Experience providing training for staff
• Effective oral and written communication skills.
• Commitment to the mission, vision, and diversity statement of the organization.
• Strong experience performing accounting transactions for all major accounting cycles.
• Working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles.
• Proven ability to organize multiple projects efficiently.
• Accounting experience in a non-profit affordable housing organization that develops, constructs and manages properties.
• Working knowledge of HUD, Low Income Housing Tax Credit Programs, and State and Local housing programs.
• Experience working with Abila MIP accounting software.
• Experience working in property management software.
• Experience in working with multiple entities.
Compensation: $85,000 - $100,000/year depending on experience