The Registration Clerk is responsible for the proper and efficient registration of inpatients and outpatients.
- Greets, assists or directs patients appropriately.
- Obtains complete patient name, address, birthdate, SS#, employer, next of kin and person to notify using correct spelling and correct postal regulations for address. Collects patients preferred pharmacy.
- Collecting accurate billing information including guarantor information, correct mnemonic for insurance, policy number, etc.
- Appropriately selecting correct patient, class, entering correct location and or service according to type of registration, occurrence codes, admission source, condition codes, and adding comments as needed – i.e. no cards, accident details, U.R. calls, etc
- Accurately completing consents for different patient classes and distributing to correct areas, making labels and identification bracelets for appropriate patients.
- Completes necessary charts/forms and routes to appropriate individuals and departments, (i.e., Workmen’s Compensation, Insurance Forms, Trauma calls, Advance Directives, Patient Rights).
- Collects co-payments, other patient financial responsibilities. Follows established procedure in recording payments received, preparing receipts, handling cash and balancing cash drawer.
- Must have high school diploma or equivalent
- Previous work experience in a physician office or hospital.
- Must have good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Must demonstrate patience and tact when interacting with patients and their families.
- Must be highly motivated and willing to assume additional jobs and duties as needed.
- Must be able to handle stress of working efficiently with frequent interruptions and distractions.
- Hours must be flexible to accommodate for unscheduled events.
- Must be able to prioritize tasks and adhere to strict deadlines.
- Must have clinical knowledge.
- Sitting 4-8 hours a day
- Occasionally lift up to 20 pounds
- Wrist deviation (side to side and up and down) 4-8 hours a day