Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence
Position: Community Based Enrollment & Match Specialist
Location: Philadelphia (currently remote, work-from-home)
Job Status: Full-time, non-exempt
Reports To: Team Leader, Community-Based Enrollment & Match
JOIN A FORWARD-THINKING AGENCY THAT SEEKS TO ENSURE THAT ALL YOUTH ACHIEVE THEIR FULL POTENTIAL. Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence (BBBSI) is the largest BBBS agency in the state and fourth largest in the nation. Our mission is to ignite the power and promise of youth and close the mentoring gap, by creating and supporting one-to-one mentoring relationships and strengthening the quality of the mentoring field.
Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence (BBBSI), seeks an Enrollment and Match Specialist, tasked with facilitating the enrollment processes of "Big" and "Little" mentoring relationships, “Matches”, through conducting information sessions, interviews, writing assessments, processing applications, matching, and administrative tasks, including inputting notes into the database website. Typically, the position is based in an office environment and requires occasional travel. Note: Typical schedule involves 2 evening shifts per week and 1 weekend day per month. This will be discussed further in the interview process. This position is currently work from home and all job duties are conducted virtually.
1. Presents individual and group orientation sessions, to explain the program in more detail and encourage potential volunteers to continue in the enrollment process.
2. Assists with recruitment of volunteers in specific target areas.
3. Conducts volunteer, child, and parent/guardian virtual or in-person interviews (based on Big Brothers Big Sisters of America Standards); providing child safety education; assessing and referring families for alternative or additional services or resources as needed while applying learned child safety and risk management knowledge, policies and procedures to all aspects of job.
4. Strategically engages families that live in close proximity to available volunteers.
5. Conducts phone and email reference checks for volunteers.
6. When in-person, fingerprints potential volunteers for FBI clearances during the day and during evening hours as scheduled.
7. Maintains accurate volunteer and client records in an online database.
Assessment & Recommendations
8. Writes thorough professional assessments of volunteers and clients providing a summary of their interview information, recommendations regarding their acceptance into the program and matching preferences.
9. Achieves good, very good, or excellent ratings on all written assessments that are scored for quality review.
10. Conducts volunteer/client reassessments and updates information as needed, always maintaining accurate records.
11. Makes recommendations for participation in program based on all data reviewing all enrollment information and assessments. Effectively aligns volunteer/client interests and qualifications with service options of Agency.
12. Pairs volunteers and children in 1:1 matches making recommendations to Match Support staff for subsequent training and support needs, and collaborating with other staff to ensure a smooth transition among functions, and meeting matching goals.
13. Ensures the Match Support Team has all the information they need to successfully support the Match and collaborating as needed.
Professional Requirements: Bachelor’s degree (OR an Associate’s Degree and a minimum 4 years relevant experience OR no degree but a minimum of 8 years relevant experience OR within six months of Bachelor’s degree completion). Must possess the ability to effectively learn and utilize BBBSI’s internal database systems for tracking and recording information. Must be comfortable with public speaking. Experience in human services, with youth service organizations and socioeconomically diverse populations is preferred. Spanish-speaking skills are a plus.
Additional Requirements: Must have consistent and dependable access to a car, valid driver's license, and meet State-required automobile insurance minimums for the purpose of facilitating off-site interviews when needed.
Must demonstrate leadership, dedication, and an interpersonal savvy that helps establish effective relationships and an appropriate rapport with people; have attentive and active listening skills; take a sales/marketing approach to interaction with youth clients and volunteers; are results/outcome oriented; take a collaborative approach to job duties and also able to operate independently; are approachable, organized; and demonstrate sound judgment. Our best employees 1) set the bar high 2) are intentional and thoughtful about their choices 3) collaborate as a means to community solutions 4) are positive, can-do, and solution-oriented 5) embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion, and 6) are accountable and get it done.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing work in an office environment and include the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The ability to work independently; remain sedentary for extended periods of time (6+ hours per day); lift 10-15lbs; push, pull, bend kneel, as needed for normal operations.
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted online at: https://www.independencebigs.org/
Note: only those applicants believed to be viable candidates for this opportunity will be contacted. No phone calls please.
WHO SHOULD APPLY
Educators, social workers, and youth workers with a passion for working with youth and a desire to work for a strong mission driven organization should apply. At BBBSI, we serve more than 2,400 children annually in Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties in Pennsylvania, and Burlington, Camden and Gloucester Counties in New Jersey.
Our aspiration is to develop an organization that reflects our constituent base. BBBSI promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. BBBSI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status, first and second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families, or any legally protected factor.
** This position is currently remote. However, the agency is in Phase 1 of return to work on a voluntary basis. As we see a changes in our partner requirements that will ensure safety for their staff, students, and communities served, the agency is required to request proof of vaccination for those roles. In the event the agency decides to require vaccinations for all staff and transition back to in office operations, staff will be given a minimum of two (2) weeks advance notice.**