American Farmland Trust (AFT) is the only national organization that takes a holistic approach to agriculture, focusing on the land itself, the agricultural practices used on that land, and the farmers and ranchers who do the work. Since our founding in 1980, AFT has helped permanently protect over 6.5 million acres of agricultural lands, advanced environmentally-sound farming practices on millions of additional acres, and helped thousands of farm families succeed in a challenging industry (primarily through programs that increase farm viability and/or enhance farmland access). Long a pioneering leader, AFT is now riding a new wave of growth, driven by agriculture’s most pressing needs and opportunities.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are inclusive. We embrace differences. We recognize and respect the fundamental value and dignity of all our employees. We celebrate the unique traditions, heritages, and experiences our employees bring to the workplace. We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive culture that promotes and values diversity, and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic selves to work every day. AFT’s Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice statement can be found here.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, expression or identity, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Farmland Trust complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we have facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
American Farmland Trust seeks a dynamic candidate to join the Development team as the new Philanthropy Coordinator. This position provides support to AFT’s team of regionally based Philanthropy Officers (7-person team) and reports to the Director of Philanthropy. The Coordinator will play an integral role in strengthening AFT’s overall donor stewardship program and assisting the team in delivering thoughtful strategy and ideas that create a vibrant, healthy, gracious culture of giving.
This person will be a behind the scenes expert of administrative tasks and systems that keep the team going strong. The Coordinator will oversee donor acknowledgement letters and other important mailings throughout the year. They will routinely handle database and SharePoint organization, complete expense reporting for the team using Concur, assist with event planning and logistics; and support an effective onboarding process for frontline fundraisers.
What You’ll Be Working On
As an integral part of the AFT Philanthropy team, the Philanthropy Coordinator assists the Director of Philanthropy in day-to-day operations for the team and executing special assignments, as well as:
- Provide support in the gift processing, acknowledgement, and reconciliation areas
- Manage simple record updates (address change, deceased, phone & email adds/edits)
- Run the data hygiene services available with AFT’s Blackbaud subscription
- Complete bulk data uploads to properly capture all outbound prospecting stewardship and activity
- Provide administrative support to the broader Individual Giving team including: preparing visit materials for donors; ensuring proper donor visit follow-up materials are available/sent; and/or preparing written correspondence.
- Assist the Philanthropy team in ensuring that all contacts, cultivation steps, and other information is added to the Raiser’s Edge database.
- Help coordinate national and regional donor events by managing event logistics, such as getting quotes, managing invoices, researching vendors, working with printers and managing invitation processes. Work collaboratively with development and regional staff on the onsite event logistics, including: nametag production, signage, donor gifts and event materials and other supporting details that ensure event objectives are achieved.
- Have excellent customer service skills and communicate with AFT donors and prospects in a comfortable and professional manner.
- Coordinate the onboarding process for new Philanthropy staff, including scheduling introductions, preparing equipment, etc.
- Manage library of fundraising materials and help develop and deploy new collateral as needed by the Philanthropy Team.
- Handle internal meeting logistics including serving as the Teams meetings host, and development calendar lead.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, and 1-4+ years of administrative or operations experience (development, communications, environmental non-profit experience a plus);
- Strong computer skills; willing to learn specialized software, experience with CRM;
- Innovative self-starter, creative thinker, demonstrated initiative, able to work independently; confident decision maker with s positive attitude;
- Strong interpersonal, communication and customer service skills;
- Strong creative writing skills, familiarity with graphic design programs such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, as well as technical knowledge of digital fundraising practices and techniques to assist with marketing materials and the creation of other development communications tools;
- Excellent proof-reading skills and knowledge of grammar;
- Team player and ability to work collaboratively with staff at all levels;
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, stay organized and follow through independently;
- Flexibility to adapting work capacity to the needs of the Philanthropy Team
- Have sound judgment in maintaining confidentiality of donor information.
Why you should apply
- Be a part of a purpose-driven, committed, knowledgeable, high-performing, experienced and fun team
- A diverse and inclusive work environment
- A cause and mission you can be proud of
- Competitive compensation & Benefits
- Remote work opportunities
- Flexible scheduling
Ready to apply? If this job sounds like a fit for you, then click on the ‘apply’ button below.