U.S. Soccer Overview
- We are U.S. Soccer and we are the future of sport in the United States. Our mission is to make soccer the preeminent sport in the United States. We embrace diversity, technology and global connections to drive the growth of our sport and serve our athletes and fans. We seek motivated, passionate, skilled people who can think, create and work on a team.
U.S. Soccer is a growing company that looks for team members to grow with it. U.S. Soccer offers a comprehensive compensation package, casual work environment, an inclusive culture and an atmosphere for professional development.
The Federation’s core principles set organization-wide standards to identify and foster our culture and inform how we interact and hold each other accountable. These principles guide U.S. Soccer: We Win Together. We Aim High. We Champion Diversity, Equity & Inclusion. To be successful as a USSF employee, it is critical to demonstrate and live up to these principles every day and with every interaction with peers, stakeholders, and partners.
The Federation’s core values are the individual attributes and characteristics that staff embody to uphold the organization’s principles and succeed. These values guide our employees: Integrity. Commitment. Teamwork. Respect.
The Senior Director, Risk Management reports to the General Counsel. This position is responsible for the overall management of corporate risk. The primary role is to develop and implement strategic risk management processes, procedures and principals while promoting a culture of risk awareness and stewardship throughout the organization.
- Oversee a cross-functional and complex corporate risk management program, including hazard risk, operational risk, financial risk and strategic risk in a fast-paced environment.
- Administer and manage a corporate insurance program. Continually and consistently evaluate the adequacy of insurance coverages and limits. Oversee the insurance renewal process for business units, market USSF to carriers, brokers and third parties, and effectively negotiate limits and commercial insurance coverages including, but not limited to Property, Casualty, Directors and Officers Liability, Cyber Risk and Privacy Liability, Employment Practices, Fiduciary, Crime, Errors and Omissions, and General Liability and related exposures for a not for profit national governing body in sports.
- Ability to work across the organization to establish a risk management framework and risk mitigation techniques on an enterprise-wide strategic, operational and functional basis in order to develop an interrelated risk portfolio.
- Advise businesses units on the impact of risk and provide analysis of exposures to determine if risk should be accepted, avoided, financed or transferred.
- Oversee the management of loss control, safety and claims process handling enterprise-wide for all coverage lines. Provide tracks and business units with analysis of loss history to proactively address exposures.
- Work closely with Legal department to establish a consistent process for contractual risk transfer and establish standard insurance language that align with organizations risk tolerance levels.
- Establish the framework for an effective risk management program for media and intellectual property exposures.
- Develop and maintain strong business partnerships.
- Directly supervises any assigned staff and outside vendor relationships.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities may include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor Degree in Risk Management, Insurance, Finance, Business Administration, Legal or related field.
- ARM, CRM or CPCU a plus.
- 7-10 years of experience with senior management responsibility in the commercial insurance industry. Experience in intellectual property and media exposures a plus.
- Ability to effectively communicate and translate risk management techniques to executive leadership.
- Ability to consistently make sound and reasoned decisions, offer practical advice and make recommendations to relevant decision makers throughout the organization.
- Ability to effectively identify issues, research and analyze complex matters, assess potential exposures and appropriately manage risk as well as propose solutions.
- Ability to exercise creativity, innovation and resourcefulness to address issues and resolve problems while promoting effectiveness and efficiency.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical interface, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Computer Skills
- Proficient skills on all company provided hardware and software.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Working at U.S. Soccer is a unique opportunity. Employees who work at U.S. Soccer have the following attributes:
- Live our Principles & Values
- Adopt a company centric approach—Serve the Athlete and the Fan
- Embrace and see learning as a lifelong pursuit
- Possess a growth mindset—keeps an open mind and seeks new challenges
- Practice self-assessment and self-reflection
- Open to criticism and does not make excuses
- Possess a tireless work ethic
- Wants to be part of a team that wins
- Has the ability to be firm but fair
- Communicate in a direct, open and honest manner
- Build relationships through genuine interpersonal skills