Carlisle Brake & Friction designs and manufactures a full solution set of braking products. These include dry disc caliper brakes, drum brakes and mechanical brakes for both service and park applications. Additionally, we manufacture both wet and dry friction materials used for wet brakes, brake linings, clutches, and transmissions. We also design and deliver hydraulic actuation, including hydraulic valves, master cylinders, adjustors, and boosted master cylinders.
As a Staff Engineer/Material Scientist, you are responsible for the daily support of plant operations, identification and elimination of waste, and the development and implementation of process changes for continuous improvement. Independently perform high quality metallurgical evaluations and failure analyses in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Investigate powder mix properties, initiate DOE’s, and run trials to improve material performance, simplify processes and reduce cost
- Investigate flattening/sintering furnace process, initiate DOE’s, and run trials to identify potential process/material improvements
- Investigate powder loss and green compact scrap, initiate DOE’s, and run trials to identify potential processes to reclaim scrap and formulate mix ratio for reclaim vs virgin powder
- Foster collaborative team effort to plan and execute projects with minimal risk to existing production activities
- Utilize an entrepreneurial spirit, not to be afraid to take risks, celebrate successes of others, and take responsibility for actions and the results of efforts
- Participates in and supports the company’s Six Sigma and operational improvement initiatives
- Participates and leads continuous improvement events to improve productivity and reduce waste
- Must be willing to work extended hours, occasional weekends and to travel (<5%) as required to perform the objectives of this role
- Develops, evaluates, and improves manufacturing operations, to include but not limited to fixturing, tooling and methods.
- Identify and solve related manufacturing problems. Responds in a timely manner to manufacturing problems and operates with a sense of urgency when required.
- Develop, setup, and implementation of new machine documentation to achieve the organizational performance, production, and financial objectives.
- Maintains positive working relationships with manufacturing personnel and other staff members to support a positive workplace environment.
- Applies statistical methods to estimate future manufacturing requirements and potential.
- Develops, evaluates, improves set up methods and reduces set up times.
- Works to reduce all aspects of manufacturing costs.
- Works to reduce all aspects of manufacturing wastes.
- Creates and maintains accurate work instructions and visual aids for use in the manufacturing cells
- Proven track record of driving change and ability to develop and execute technology development plans
- Experience supporting product development and sustainment programs required
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship