DEPARTMENT: Community Services: Money Matters
POSITION TITLE: Tax Program Scheduler
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Non-exempt: Temporary, (Mid November – Mid April) position, 20-30 hours/week (hours vary in Nov, Dec & April)
LOCATION: 393 Main Street, Greenfield, MA/Remote Work from Home based on Program Services
SUPERVISOR: Money Matters Coordinator
Community Action’s Tax Scheduler will be responsible for answering the phone for Community Action Pioneer Valley’s Free Tax Assistance Program (VITA), conducting phone eligibility screening and scheduling virtual and in-person tax preparation appointments. Call volume is high and the Scheduler will screen approximately 900 households during the tax season. Responsibilities also include recording call data into Excel and agency databases, utilizing Outlook Calendar and AppToto appointment software, preparing mailings, helping to follow-up with taxpayers, data entry and other duties as assigned by the Program Coordinator. Training in VITA advanced tax preparation will be provided with a requirement to become certified within the first 30 days. Evening and weekend hours may be required during tax season.
- Answer and respond to a high volume of phone and electronic messages efficiently and promptly.
- Manage all aspects of scheduling for the tax program including initial contact, screening for eligibility, appointment reminders, cancellations and ensuring the maximum number of participants are scheduled and prepared for their appointment.
- Assist with maintaining VITA-specific customer relationship software used for virtual tax clinics.
- Assist Tax Team in various activities to prepare for the tax season including mailings, preparing materials for volunteers and other duties.
- Maintain taxpayer files and enter data into Excel and agency database for reporting purposes. Ensure required data entry and reporting is completed in an accurate and timely manner in accordance with program guidelines.
- Maintain high level of customer service following Community Action’s established Customer Service Standards and all applicable guidelines set forth by the program.
- Remote work from home will be assigned and determined by the Money Matters Coordinator; when schedule requires remote work, expected to be available for meetings, calls, responding to emails, and conducting regular duties during standard service/agency hours.
- Required to work in the evening and weekends occasionally
- Comply with agency and funders’ paperwork requirements and procedures.
- Attend all required staff meetings, supervision, training and contractual meetings.
- Attend mandatory agency trainings and other relevant trainings.
- Participate in professional development activities and team meetings.
- Maintain strictest confidentiality.
- Perform related work as required.
This does not cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- High School Diploma or Equivalency
- 3 years’ experience in office-related and customer service functions.
- Ability to complete online training and IRS certification in advanced tax preparation.
- Familiarity with taxes preferred.
- Additional appropriate education may be substituted for experience or additional directly related experience may be substituted for education
- Bilingual/bicultural (Spanish/English) preferred
- Proficient computer skills, including using a mouse, email, Microsoft office products (Word, Excel) Demonstrated proficiency with Excel and on-line calendar software (Outlook)
- Strong people skills including outreach, customer service, and maintaining positive relationships both in person and over the phone.
- Ability to explain and interpret basic tax law to volunteers and taxpayers. (Training and resources provided).
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to follow through a multi-step process with consistency and accuracy.
- Excellent organizational skills to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently and as an effective team member.
- Dependability and flexibility.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of customer information.
- Understanding of data capture and tracking methods.
- Sensitivity to cultural and socioeconomic diversity and the needs of individuals with low incomes.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands and work environment described below is representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Working in a fast-paced environment.
- Requires sitting for long periods of time.
- Working in an office environment.
- Some bending and stretching required.
- Extensive use of telephone required.
- Some lifting required 20-40 lbs.
- Manual dexterity required for use of calculator and computer keyboard.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of Criminal Offender Record check (C.O.R.I.) prior to hire and every three years. Evidence of a good driving record and ability to be covered under Community Action’s non-owned and hired vehicle policy.