PROGRAM: San Mateo County Pride Center
HOURS/WAGE: $24/hr +$1 for bilingual differential (if applicable), 30 hours available, Non-Exempt + Comprehensive Health Insurance & Benefits
REPORTS TO: Clinical Program Coordinator
CONSIDERATIONS: Position will be remote at this time but will be expected to be in the office when it is deemed safe to do so.
Organization: The San Mateo County Pride Center works to provide support services to individuals and families in the LGBTQ+ community. The Pride Center is a program of StarVista in partnership with Peninsula Family Service, Outlet of Adolescent Counseling Services, and San Mateo County Behavioral Health and Recovery Services. The Pride Center provides a range of services with three main components: 1) Clinical (individual, relationship, and family counseling, case management); 2) Social/Community (peer support groups, events, gathering space, education, trainings); and 3) Resource Center (library, referrals, free store, computers). Check out our website on www.sanmateopride.org.
Our Mission: The mission of the San Mateo County Pride Center is to create a welcoming, safe, inclusive, and affirming community climate that fosters personal growth, health, and opportunities to thrive for individuals of all ages, sexual orientations, and gender identities through education, counseling, advocacy, and support.
Mental Health Clinician: This position will provide therapeutic services to a caseload of around 15 clients, which may include therapy, assessment, advocacy, treatment planning, and coordination with other Pride Center staff, in a community setting. The Pride Center is seeking a therapist who is trauma-aware or trauma informed, uses a strengths-based approach, and practices cultural humility to work with a broad variety of folks in the LGBTQ+ community, including individuals, youth, couples, and families. This position also offers the opportunity to collaborate with the team on offering psychoeducation and development trainings for both community members and LGBTQ-serving professionals. Learn more about our Mental Health Services at www.sanmateopride.org/mental-health-services. Clinical supervision and opportunities for trainings provided.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide psychotherapy treatment and services to a caseload of around 15 clients (with Spanish Bilingual capacity, if possible).
- Coordinate care by communicating with clients’ other health care providers as needed.
- Maintain timely and clinically appropriate documentation of all clinical services.
- Follow procedures on intake and discharge processes, including screenings, assessments, coordinating client payments, and determining service appropriateness based on client needs.
- Meet weekly in clinical group supervision and individual supervision.
- Attend weekly Pride Center staff and clinical program meetings.
- Meet bi-weekly with Clinical Program Coordinator.
- Provide consultation for non-clinical staff as needed.
- Must be eligible, and willing, to enroll as a Medi-Cal provider with San Mateo county’s managed care system. (Registered Associate or licensed with BBS)
- Complete and submit monthly Medi-Cal claim forms to StarVista billing department.
- Further develop network of collaboration and referrals with other local LGBTQ-competent professionals.
- Willing to travel within San Mateo County area as needed for collaboration with partners.
- Opportunity to provide LGBTQ+ trainings, workshops, and consultations to local community with the Pride Center team and other community partners.
- Attend trainings that focus on LGBTQ+ and/or mental health issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Counseling, Psychology, Clinical Social Work, or related field.
- Registered or registration eligible AMFT/ASW/APCC with the Board of Behavioral Sciences. Applicant must be in good standing with the BBS.
- Valid CA Driver’s License, working car, proof of auto insurance and ability to pass fingerprint and TB clearance is required.
- Work or lived experience with the LGBTQ+ community.
- Experience working with a variety of treatment modalities, and/or historically marginalized populations.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment.
- Excellent verbal, written, and consultation skills.
- Familiarity with Office 365 Suite software.
- Familiarity with videoconference platforms such as Microsoft Teams and Zoom.
- Spanish bilingual skills.
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to Men Chun Wong (he/they), Clinical Program Coordinator. In your cover letter, please tell us a little about yourself, and your interest and experience working with the LGBTQ+ community. You may also discuss your understanding of social justice and cultural humility as it applies to your work in mental health. LGBTQ+ folks of color strongly encouraged to apply.
* * *
StarVista is a private non-profit agency in San Mateo County that provides a wide array of free and low-cost services to help children, teens, and adults who are dealing with substance abuse, domestic violence, mental health, relationship, and communication issues. More information about the agency and its programs can be found at www.star-vista.org.