Do you have the passion to join a group whose mission is to pioneer the discovery of a new class of medicines to treat diseases unaddressed by today’s therapies? Does it excite you to be a part of a company with a focus on cancer and genetically validated targets in other disease areas with unmet medical need? If yes, you may be a great fit to join Arrakis on our path to bring powerful new therapies to millions of patients.
Your Impact at Arrakis
The mission of Arrakis Therapeutics is to propel small molecule drug discovery into new realms of biology by discovering and developing compounds that selectively target RNA. By targeting specific RNA structure/function relationships, Arrakis will generate drug candidates with novel mechanisms of action for high-value molecular targets that are challenging to address via more traditional protein-centric approaches. Our efforts span a wide range of disease areas including oncology, neuroscience and rare disease, with a focus on indications with high unmet medical need. The Arrakis platform is being built to drug RNA structures with small molecules targeting many aspects of RNA biology.
Arrakis is seeking an experienced computational chemist to lead the computational chemistry group driving medicinal chemistry programs from hit to lead and beyond, collaborate across disciplines within Arrakis and collaborate externally. The ideal candidate will enjoy and thrive working in a collaborative, fast-paced start-up environment, leveraging a high degree of integrity and innovation to make a large impact on our mission.
- Develop a vision for the development of the computational chemistry group at Arrakis aligning with company strategy applying state-of-the-art modeling and informatics for molecular design.
- Lead and mentor direct reports to produce high-quality results while fostering a positive work environment.
- Provide computational medicinal chemistry support towards hit-to-lead progression, initiating new projects and new drug-target assessments
- Collaborate with computational biology to develop a harmonized strategy of the disciplines including training and sharing best practices,
- Work effectively in a cross-functional capacity with the RNA biology, target biology, bioinformatics, assay development and biochemistry teams to deliver high-quality results and drive program decisions in an efficient manner
- Effectively communicate scientific proposals, experimental outcomes, and project goals and progress across the organization
- PhD in Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Biophysics or related scientific field with extensive experience within pharmaceutical or biotechnology field
- Direct management and project leadership experience
- Demonstrated mastery of modern computational chemistry including structure-based design (receptor and ligand-based), scaffold hopping, docking and conformational analysis
- Cheminformatics expertise, such as modern AI and machine learning, chemical reaction/library enumeration, 2D/3D similarity, clustering, dimensionality reduction techniques that are related to data mining and data visualizations
- Experience with enterprise informatics systems such as Knime, SQL databases and data warehouses
- Expertise with macro biomolecular modeling that may be transferable to RNA structure by incorporating constraints from NMR, CryoEM or other structural, biochemical data (RNA modeling experience a plus)
- Strong scientific programming skills (Python preferred) and pipelining tools, (e.g. Knime) in a Linux environment.
- Familiarity with cloud computing environments (Google, AWS) would be a plus
- An understanding of modern drug discovery including medicinal chemistry and DMPK principles, basic tox and multi-parametric optimization, molecular recognition principles, and the ability to adapt and translate these principles to RNA.
Interested in learning more about Arrakis? Click on the links below!
Dark Matter Blog: Arrakis achieves escape velocity
Dark Matter Blog: Following our pole star
Arrakis/Roche Alliance Partnership
Arrakis is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, military service, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.