Strong Leadership, Positive, Driven and Highly Motivated
Not many companies in today’s world have a 95% retention rate of associates like Indiana Farmers Insurance. We value and retain our associates through a combination of interesting work, great co-workers, and a top-notch total rewards package. We are a financially strong mutual insurance company that values making smart decisions and implementing them sensibly. We also value having a good balance between our work and personal lives. All these factors combined mean a positive and stable workplace for our associates and excellent service for our members!
Indiana Farmers’ Values: Innovation + Collaboration + Accountability + Respect + Empowerment
We are currently looking for a Commercial Lines Underwriting Manager to join our Team. This position manages assigned underwriters and processing staff who are responsible for reviewing, evaluating and analyzing risk exposure, for processing and the issuance of policies. As a Commercial Lines Underwriting Manager with Indiana Farmers Insurance and in support of our vision, you will be responsible for monitoring and motivating your team to work together to deliver accurate products with top notch service.
Responsibilities in this job include but are not limited to:
- Interviewing, hiring, training, evaluating performance and, when necessary, disciplining and discharging direct report team members; resolving conflicts, counseling staff as needed, and encouraging use of good time management techniques
- Training and auditing staff on underwriting principles, procedures, guidelines and best practices; assisting staff in the resolution of more difficult technical problems
- Developing agency relations through agency visits and being available to answer questions and advise
- Performing various analysis and reports to keep AVP apprised of the team’s activities
Important skills and abilities include:
- Excellent communication skills – both oral (listening and speaking) and written
- Strong interpersonal skills for dealing with associates, agents, insureds and various outside contacts
- Ability to guide others to achieve company goals
- Excellent time management with a high degree of concentration, organization, and efficiency
- Strong automation/technology skills, including familiarity with Microsoft Office
- College degree with a major in business, management or other related field, preferred
- Ten years of related underwriting experience; five years concurrent managerial experience, preferably in commercial lines
- CPCU designation and/or additional insurance-related coursework, preferred
- Strong problem solving and decision-making abilities
- In depth knowledge and understanding of underwriting practices
- Strong technical, analytical and cognitive skills for interpreting underwriting guidelines
Why work for Indiana Farmers Insurance?
- 95% retention of its associates over the last 5 years
- Financially stable as shown by our A (Excellent) rating by AM Best
- Truly customer focused
- A strong legacy of excellent performance throughout our 143 years in business!
Total Rewards Package includes a competitive salary and benefits package:
- Excellent health, dental, vision and life Insurance plans are provided free of charge to associates.
- We promote from within our diverse workforce regularly and offer regular opportunities to learn and grow.
- We offer an exceptional 401(k) Plan with a 2% match plus an 11% company contribution.
- An above average Paid Time Off bank of days as well as paid holidays are standard.
- We offer a paid Day of Service to serve others at your favorite charitable organization.
- Matching funds of up to $100 annually are available from the company for your favorite charitable organization.
- Associate recognition awards, fun gatherings, and opportunities to make friends are part of our culture.
- An on-site fitness center, as well as free and convenient parking right next to our building make life easier.
For more information about Indiana Farmers, please go to https://insurance.indianafarmers.com/about-us.
Indiana Farmers Insurance is an equal opportunity employer!