To apply for this role, upload your (1) resume and (2) cover letter. The role will be filled as soon as we find the right candidate.
In 1990, a small group of dedicated volunteers with a desire to eliminate substandard housing in our community founded San Gabriel Valley Habitat for Humanity. Thanks to our supporters, more than 200 local and international families have been able to build or repair their own homes here in Los Angeles’ San Gabriel Valley and beyond. Through the years, we have maintained our unrelenting determination to help families in need by offering a hand up, not a handout. Through donations, shopping at our ReStores, volunteering or adding a voice to support affordable housing, everyone can help families achieve the strength, stability, and self-reliance they need to build better lives for themselves.
San Gabriel Valley Habitat for Humanity ReStores are unique retail outlets selling quality new and gently used merchandise while helping to create affordable housing in the San Gabriel Valley
The ReStore Assistant Driver will serve as an ambassador for our organization by picking up donated merchandise throughout our service area. If you have excellent customer service skills, experience in driving, delivery, and retail, with a willingness to serve, this is the position for you.
This position is physically demanding and involves a significant amount of heavy lifting on a daily basis. There is daily communication with the donation coordinators to assure the routes are completed. This position is also very rewarding, including many opportunities to help families build financial stability and self-reliance through affordable homeownership.
Sick leave benefits, 10 holidays off annually, employee discount on ReStore items, and exclusive discounts on entertainment, amusement parks, and more!
Essential Job Duties
· Pick-up and deliver donations using Habitat for Humanity vehicles including a box truck and stake bed truck
· Properly load trucks to make sure all items are secure and will be safe to move and unload, while maximizing space
· Use of appropriate tools (including pallet jacks, ratchet straps, hand trucks, furniture dollies, and a fork lift) to safely transport donations
· Assist in keeping trucks well maintained and clean, including doing minor repairs, as needed, and regular inspections for up-keep (e.g. tire pressure, oil changes, fluid check, etc.)
· Make sure all donations are sellable and match the ReStore’s donation criteria
· Work in the ReStore warehouse and on the sales floor when donation pick-up duties are completed
· Assist in other areas, as requested
Is committed to San Gabriel Valley Habitat for Humanity’s mission to eliminate substandard housing and make affordable housing a matter of conscience and action.
· experience driving commercial trucks (18’ box trucks, bobtails, or stake beds)
· High School Diploma or GED required; equivalent work experience will be considered
· Valid California Driver’s License, clean pre-employment, and on-going driving record mandatory
· OSHA/ forklift training is a plus but not required
- Team player
- Basic smartphone and tablet computer skills
- Furniture moving experience preferred
- Responsibility to report to work everyday
- Ability to understand and relate to diverse populations
- Strong problem-solving
- Clear communication
- Active listening
- Strong people skills
- Organized and meticulous
- Spatial intelligence
- Ability to stand for 8 hours per day
- Ability to keep up with the heavy physical demands of the job
- Ability to safely lift and carry heavy objects
- Ability to push/pull heavy furniture up one flight of stairs
- Ability to help in our retail stores once pickups are completed for the day
- Ability to withstand changes of weather while completing pickups
SGV Habitat for Humanity actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications. SGV Habitat for Humanity is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider all qualified individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans, regardless of race, religion, age, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetics, gender identity, or any other legally protected characteristic. SGV Habitat for Humanity will not inquire about a job applicant's criminal conviction history prior to making a conditional offer of employment.