Come find out what makes 75 State Street so special!
Located in the historic West End neighborhood of Portland, Maine, 75 State Street is a nonprofit senior community offering a continuum of care that includes Independent Living and Assisted Living. Our mission is to promote the independence, dignity, and individuality of older people of all financial abilities by offering supportive programs and services in an urban, residential setting.
As a nonprofit organization, we care deeply about people – both for our residents who rely on 75 State Street to provide a safe, supportive environment in which to age in place, and for our staff – without whom we could not maintain our stellar reputation for care and community. When it comes to our staff, we strive to create strong teams, meaningful career growth, and an outstanding work environment.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Driver is responsible for the provision for safe, reliable, and courteous transportation services for residents going to and from appointments or running errands.
- Able to build and follow a prioritized daily schedule to meet resident transportation needs.
- Drive cautiously and respectfully to ensure the safety of residents; mitigate any safety risks.
- Navigate to various destinations with efficiency and comfort in mind.
- Participate in vehicle maintenance, including monitoring various vehicle functions in accordance with established procedures; maintain vehicle emergency supplies; and maintain the safety and cleanliness of exterior and interior of vehicle as needed.
- Maintain resident confidentiality and abide by all relevant HIPAA and HITECH regulations and uphold Resident Rights.
- Assist with resident transfers and ambulation as needed; provide wheelchair assistance as requested.
- Provide courteous and professional service to all residents; assist residents in entering and exiting vehicle safely.
- Cope with the stress of managing tight timetables, conflicting priorities, congested traffic or other frustrating traffic that may occur during route.
- Respond to emergencies appropriately.
- Must value and foster an environment that ensures respect, support and safety for all members of the 75 State Street community, and actively promote the expansion of ideas, perspectives, and understanding that comes from having a diverse and inclusive community.
- Comply with Mandatory Reporting to Adult Protective Services and Residential Care.
- Maintain a valid State of Maine Driver’s License and clean driving record.
- Must be over the age of 21 years old.
- Valid PSS certification or ability to obtain within 120 days from date of hire.
- Excellent phone etiquette and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively to residents, family, staff, and outside facilities and vendors.
- Ability to follow directions and accept supervision.
- Ability to multi-task and provide excellent customer service.
- Ability to present a professional and welcoming appearance.
- Strength: Must have the ability to frequently move, lift, pull and push objects up to 50 lbs.
- Manual Dexterity: Must have the ability to operate a vehicle safely and provide basic maintenance.
- Coordination: Must be able to continuously perform tasks requiring hand-eye coordination such as driving and assisting residents in and out of vehicles.
- Mobility: Required to frequently sit for prolonged periods. Must be able to occasionally walk, stand, stoop, squat, kneel, twist, bend to floor, reach with hands/arms, climb stairs and remain in uncomfortable positions at times for prolonged periods.
- Speech: Must be able to continuously articulate and communicate clearly and precisely when interacting with staff, professionals, vendors and clients.
- Emotional Stability: Must be able to continuously deal effectively with stress created by busy phones, multiple tasks, noises, interruptions, tight schedules, and work cooperatively as part of the administrative team while maintaining a pleasant, professional demeanor.
- Vision: Must be able to continuously read small print; adjust focus to maintain safe navigation in various weather conditions and levels of light.
- Hearing: Must be able to continuously hear normal sounds and voice patterns, receive verbal instructions, answer a phone and communicate with others with some background noise.
- Concentration: Must be able to continuously concentrate on moderate details with frequent interruption.
- Attention Span: Must be able to frequently attend to tasks for up to 45 minutes at a time.
- Conceptualization: Must be able to frequently understand and relate to ideas, generally several at a time, and interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written or oral form.
- Memory: Must be able to frequently remember verbal and written tasks.