We are looking for a highly dynamic and responsible candidate for a part-time Adult Services Specialist position, focusing on programming. We want you to join our high-skilled and proactive team!
Part-time position: Non-exempt position, 25 hours per week
Starting Salary: $15.55/hour
Benefits: Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF), 8 holidays per year plus additional paid time off.
Closing Date: Until position is filled
• Provides consistent, gracious and friendly service to internal and external customers.
• Understands and enforces District policies and procedures while safeguarding intellectual freedom and patron privacy.
• Perform all duties at all the Adult and Teen Services public desks, including the reference desk, media desk, computer commons desk and covering the young adult area.
• Monitors the use of the library computer area. Diagnoses equipment and software related problems and performs preventative and routine maintenance with limited instruction.
• Assists patrons and fellow staff members in the use of online catalogs, online databases, online services, Internet, software, hardware and other equipment available for public use.
• Plans, prepares, and conducts Adult & Teen programs and classes. Participates in cross departmental programs. Hires performers with guidance from the Adult & Teen Services Management team and Programming Librarians, as needed.
• Creates bibliographies, flyers, blogs and other print or online library promotional materials, under guidance of the Adult & Teen Services management team.
• Assists in maintenance of adult & teen collections, as assigned.
• Assists with proctoring, study room and local history room reservations, as needed.
• Helps to implement the use of technology.
• Keeps work areas neat and orderly. Cleans computer hardware.
• Participates in library wide committees for special projects, strategic planning and new library initiatives. Serves as liaison for library in programming initiatives with external agencies.
• Research, order, inventory and maintain program supplies for the Adult & Teen Services Department.
• Prepares and submits required records, purchase requests and reports in keeping with the policies and procedures of the library. Collects daily statistics and prepares monthly departmental statistical reports.
• Serve as a notary public for the library.
• Keeps informed of current information and trends at the local library level.
• Participates in professional development activities relating to areas of responsibility.
• Performs other miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Education: Requires expertise acquired through completion of a LA/LTA certification in an Associate’s degree program, a two year Associate’s degree or a minimum of two years completed in a higher education program.
Experience: At least one year of related experience in a comparable business, school, organization, or library preferred.
Internal: Library staff and management
External: Patrons, school personnel, performers, vendors and personnel from other libraries.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job.
Physical requirements for this position include: good speaking, hearing and vision ability, ability to push carts of library materials weighing up to 100 pounds rarely, lifting materials weighing up to 50 pounds rarely and lifting materials up to 25 pounds occasionally.
Work is performed in a typical library environment. Part-time position. Requires some weekend and evening work.