The award-winning team at GGLO, a collaborative design firm, seeks an Architectural Specifications Writer for our Seattle office to support our growth in multiple locations, disciplines, markets, and project types.
GGLO is a design practice for architecture, urban design, landscape architecture, and interior design, founded in 1986. GGLO has built a strong reputation for transformative and contextually sensitive design. With offices in Seattle, Los Angeles, and Boise, we work as a single, collaborative studio focused on connecting people through beauty and innovation.
About the Role
The Architectural Specifications Writer GGLO seeks will be a producer of technical specifications and an advisor to teams on materials, specifications, and construction documentation. This person will be a technical liaison to project teams, coordinating project specification deliverables and design guidelines throughout all phases of project design. They will work with project teams to define the quality of materials and workmanship, assist in quality management, and incorporate the specification requirements of construction and project documents. This role requires a high level of collaboration and mentorship, the ability to multi-task and work cross-functionally across all locations in the firm, and a desire to grow teams through internal and external education. Success in this role means delivering innovative education and training firm-wide, partnering with the quality management team to verify requirements are met within project and office-wide specifications, and building and maintaining relationships with product manufacturers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop GGLO’s specification templates, processes, and standards; develop and maintain office-wide cross-discipline custom specification masters and inserts
- Research, advise, and make available specification technical resource tools to project teams and individuals involved in the production of specifications
- Assist with quality management (QM) processes
- Validate compliance with applicable codes, regulations, and standards
- Participate in design team meetings and department staff meetings, offering opportunities for process and standard improvement
- Understand product design requirements and translate those requirements into specifications for materials, methods, equipment, procedures, installation, and certification testing necessary to install and erect building components
- Participate in developing and improving GGLO standards and procedures
- Bridge the gap between design professionals, specifications, sustainable design requirements, QM, and construction contract administration
- Function as a technical leader and active member of GGLO’s Practice group
- Participate in fostering a green workplace through sustainable work practices and integrate sustainable design initiatives into specifications
- Upkeep and organize the specification resource library
- Meet with resource vendors to develop and refine new product selections
- Advise project teams as they write Schematic Design narratives
- Develop 3-part specifications from narrative as the project develops and defines product requirements
- Understand and administer the established process by including a checklist for each specification section and identifying principal decisions needed for each project
- Assist Principals and Project Managers during development of fee proposals related to materials selection and specifications
- Consult with Project Managers, Project Architects, Project Interior Designers, and Project Landscape Architects to meet deadlines, and engage in quality management process
- Interview project teams and review design documentation to prepare specifications; assist teams in determining material and contract requirements for projects
- Participate directly in meetings and communications with Pre-Construction services consultants and contractors, builders, sub-contractors, and fabricators, when required, during all phases of design to understand project constraints and needs, and assist with developing solutions for the design team
- Review drawings and specifications to coordinate nomenclature
- Coordinate specifications with Building information Modeling (BIM) strategies and specification writing software
- Assist project teams in resolving problems related to the use and installation of building materials and products which arise during design and construction
Professional Knowledge & Experience
- Experience in GGLO’s core markets preferred, including mixed use multi-family residential developments, hospitality, retail, tenant improvements, and open spaces
- Demonstrated understanding of building codes, building systems, and construction material standards
- Knowledge of design, industry trends, construction methodology, and material application
- Strong project experience, with a clear understanding of building technology and practical knowledge of coordinating specifications with drawings
- Extensive knowledge of professional practice issues and documents relating to specifications, including requirements for front-end specifications
- Ability to communicate with, and understand the needs of project teams
- CSI Certification such Construction Documents Technology (CDT), or Certified Construction Specifier (CCS), or equivalent preferred
- Knowledge of sustainable design principles – LEED accreditation preferred
- Previous experience with medium and large-scale mixed-use projects
- 10 + years of experience in an Architectural/Engineering firm; or with a General Contractor
- Architectural licensure
- Architectural Degree from an accredited University
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, Masterspec, Masterworks, and Bluebeam
- Authorization to work in the United States
We offer a stimulating and exciting team-oriented design environment where our employees are challenged to bring their best creative spirit to their work. Our workplace is respectful and diverse, with teams which thrive on engagement, learning and innovation. We take great pride in working together to deliver the highest-quality design solutions for our clients, and leading innovative design into the future. Additionally, we offer paid licensure and industry memberships, professional development, mentorship programs, and a collaborative, stable environment. Along with competitive salaries, we offer a generous benefit package including fully paid Medical, Dental, Vision, Short- and Long-Term Disability, Life Insurance, 401K with employer match program, time off, transit subsidy, bicycle parking, pet friendly atmosphere, opportunity for annual Profit-Sharing contributions, as well as an annual discretionary bonus opportunity for all employees.
Please visit our careers page at www.GGLO.com to apply. We look forward to hearing from you!
GGLO, LLC is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and maintaining an inclusive culture.