Type: Per Diem
General Statement of Duties: Reporting to the Team Leader RN and in accord with professional
standards and practices and Coastal Hospice policies and procedures, assesses patients' abilities for self-care
and provides occupational therapy services to enhance quality of life and independence. Actively participates
in Interdisciplinary Team meetings. Performs other professionally related responsibilities as requested
by the Team Leader RN.
1. Participates with the Coastal Hospice Interdisciplinary Team in planning patient care.
2. Provides staff consultation and in-service education.
3. Evaluates patient's ability for self-care and formulates short and long range goals in conjunction with
4. Provides occupational therapy treatment to increase the patient's functional independence.
5. Teaches patient and family members special techniques or provides adaptive devices to help patient
gain independence in self-care and other daily activities.
6. Utilizes activities and exercises to improve range of motion, strength and coordination of upper
7. Translates all exercises into functional activities and/or activities of daily living.
8. Provides or advises on splints and other special equipment to improve function and to retard and/or prevent
9. Teaches therapy treatment to other interdisciplinary team members.
10. Prepares reports of each patient evaluation including short and long range goals.
11. Maintains current progress notes and records on all patients in accord with Coastal Hospice, Inc. policies
and procedures and standard professional practice.
1. Registered in the state of Maryland.
2. Certified by the American Occupational Therapy Association.
3. Understands and accepts Coastal Hospice philosophy of care and policies.
4. Demonstrated ability to work independently and to make sound professional judgments with a minimum
of direct supervision.
5. Emotionally mature and confident.
6. Demonstrates excellent customer service for both internal and external customers.
7. Maintains in-service education record and other needed personnel information.
8. Motivated to work for the dying and bereaved according to the hospice concept and Coastal Hospice
9. Successful completion of Coastal Hospice, Inc. orientation for contract providers.
10. Access to vehicle, valid driver’s license, and auto liability insurance to $300,000.