TreePeople is an environmental nonprofit organization that is mobilizing people, business, philanthropists, and public agencies to work together to create green, resilient communities by planting trees, capturing the rainwater, greening schools, and providing fun environmental educational activities. We inspire, engage, and support the community to increase the urban tree canopy and address climate threats and environmental justice in Los Angeles and across the region.
TreePeople has been awarded a contract for Project Development for the Disadvantage Community and Tribal Involvement Program (locally known as WaterTalks)in the greater Los Angeles County and upper Santa Clara River areas. This program provides outreach and engagement to select communities and is in the process of completing a strength and needs assessment that will help to identify water related issues such as water quality and quantity, stormwater management, flooding, wastewater and water pricing.
We are seeking a Community Organizer to join our Water Equity Programs team. This position will work with partners to organize and support the project by providing guidance, training and education to designated communities for the period of October 2021 through December 2022.
- In partnership with the Water Equity Program Assistant, manage the WaterTalks leadership group of CBOs providing support, guidance, training, and education to support ground truthing of the Needs Assessment and project development.
- Work closely with the WaterTalks Project Manager to organize community members, identifying needs and supporting project development (primarily in the Valley, Gateway Cities and Hollywood areas).
- Coordinate delivery of training and education components of the WaterTalks program with internal staff and project partners, based on curriculum developed by TreePeople that are tailored to the needs of our Leadership Group.
- Support and participate in development of the training curriculum for community audiences.
- Provide knowledge and/or research as needed, particularly in urban water-related topics such as drinking water, sanitation, stormwater management, flood control and consumer cost.
- Provide support in engaging various stakeholders in watershed assessment, planning, project design and project advocacy.
- In coordination with the Water Equity Program Assistant execute Contract Coordination: Provide active administration on public-funded programs and contracts as assigned, including support for procurement and subcontracting, ongoing reporting and close-out; meeting key dates and deadlines, and record-keeping.
- Follow contract-related internal processes, protocols and policies.
- Store and maintain contract records in an electronic data management system.
- Serve as a link between assigned programs and finance dept on fiscal-related matters including but not limited to contract invoicing and collections, and subcontractor and vendor invoices and payment.
- Participate in meetings, coordinate programmatic input and write and review briefs to prepare organizational Leadership for high-profile meetings and events.
- Establish and maintain high quality interactions and clear and consistent communications across TreePeople’s teams, sub-teams, and partners in the field.
- Provide support in general community engagement efforts as needed.
- Aid in development and design of new contract programs, especially community engagement programs.
- Other duties as assigned.