This position is located in Evanston, Illinois.
The Teaching Assistant (TA), as part of a larger workforce development team, contributes to making our community a place where women and girls can thrive and achieve their dreams through YWeb Career Academy, an intensive training program preparing graduates for entry-level work in the tech sector and related positions. The TA will work alongside the YWeb instructor offering remote, in-person, and hybrid instructional support to adult students of diverse career, educational, and cultural backgrounds; assisting students with understanding class assignments, technical content, and support in accessing virtual learning platforms; and assist the instructor in identifying students’ instructional needs. This position contributes to creating a warm and welcoming space for women and children, with an ongoing commitment to providing high-quality, trauma-informed services for clients of YWCA Evanston/North Shore.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Student Support (50%)
- Whether remote, hybrid, or in-person, ensure the YWeb classroom or virtual learning space is set up appropriately in advance which can include but is not limited to ensuring an open remote class with any supportive technology in advance of start time, and setting up seating and ensuring a safe and clean learning space, and setting out supplies, or technology for in-person learning.
- Foster supportive relationships with students, getting to know their personal goals and motivations, and utilizing that information to keep them engaged in their learning journey.
- Pass along information of student needs to the Workforce Development Specialist for follow-up support and resource referral.
- Work with students individually and/or in small groups to review material taught in class and offer tutoring support to complete assignments.
- Assist students with accessing virtual learning platforms, including Zoom, RISE, and Oakton Learning Portal and report any technology needs or issues.
- Conduct code reviews and provide students with timely feedback.
- Attend and offer support to students participating in the optional portfolio workshop where students develop real websites.
Instructional Support (45%)
- At the direction of the YWeb instructor, review class materials and revise as requested; assist with grading student work and homework assignments; and identify issues or barriers students are facing and recommend solutions.
- Regularly meet with YWeb staff to discuss student progress and program needs.
- Meet regularly with the portfolio workshop instructor to identify areas where you can offer support to enhance student engagement and success.
- Keep proper records of student attendance and student needs.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES (5%)
- Provides and attends staff trainings and participates in agency committees.
- Pursues professional development
- Understands and adheres to all of YWCA Evanston/North Shore procedures and policies as well as YWCA Employee Handbook.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
Salary Range: $15/hr - $17/hr
Education: High school diploma or GED with relevant work experience such as tutoring or mentoring
Experience and/or Training
- At least one year of being a teaching assistant, tutoring, or mentoring
- Demonstrated experience in working with diverse cultural and socioeconomic communities
- Experience setting and maintaining appropriate professional boundaries with students
- Experience working with a team to accomplish goals
- Valid driver’s license and auto insurance.
- Successful completion of the Illinois 40-Hour Domestic Violence Training Certificate within 6 months of employment.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment.
- Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Reliable access to personal automobile to move between work sites.
Education: Associate Degree in Computer Programming or equivalent
Experience and/or Training:
- Successful completion of an alternative, technical certification program like a coding boot camp
Licenses/Certificates: Web Developer Certificate
Technology/Equipment: Intermediate proficiency with Word Press