Mental Health Connecticut (MHC) is a statewide not for profit provider agency that partners with individuals, their families, and the surrounding communities to create environments that support long-term health and wellness. We measure success by our ability to help individuals obtain a safe home, achieve whole health, realize a meaningful purpose, and develop connections in the community. MHC envisions a future where wellbeing is rooted in respect for the condition of being human. Our dedication to this mission is evident through our focus on community education, advocacy, and direct service.
MHC has an immediate full-time (Thursday - Monday: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm) opening for a Residential Counselor in our Young Adult Program within the Torrington area. This position will be responsible for documenting and delivering direct services, including Medicaid reimbursable services if applicable, to adult persons in recovery from chronic mental health and other co-occurring conditions as outlined in their Individual Recovery Plans to improve their quality of life and maintain the highest possible ability to function in the community.
Salary: $17.00 per hour. MHC offers a competitive benefits package which includes:
- Medical (Cost share split 80/20 for individual and 70/30 for family)
- Dental (Same cost share as Medical)
- Voluntary Vision & Short Term Disability insurance
- Company paid Life and Long Term Disability insurance
- 403(b) Retirement plan (company match is $.50 for every dollar contributed, up to 6%)
- Generous paid time off policy
The Residential Counselor responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Design, deliver and document Individualized Recovery Plans (IRPs) to adult persons in recovery experiencing chronic mental health and co-occurring conditions including but not limited to teaching Activities of Daily Living (ADL) skills and basic life skills needed to maintain a clean and orderly environment by working directly with persons in recovery in their residences.
- Link and refer to appropriate community supports and resources advocating for and supporting person centered preferences.
- Monitor and document the self-administration of medications. Perform medication runs.
- Ensure safety of program participants in their residence through proper supervision of the site including but not limited to being cognizant of any treatment issues. This may specifically mean conducting rounds or on site check-ins with housed program participants.
- Develop and maintain confidential charts through accurate and timely documentation of daily progress, behaviors, unusual incidents or emergency events. Communicate immediate concerns with supervisory staff.
- Maintain cordial relations with DMHAS and other community agencies.
- Willing and able to drive a personally owned vehicle locally and within the state.
- May be required to carry a pager to respond to emergencies while off site/duty.
- Provide emergency coverage when necessary. May be required to remain on site until relieved on occasion.
- Knowledge of housing and treatment needs of people who have mental health and co-occurring conditions; ability to develop and maintain cooperative, professional relationships with program participants, other staff, and community agencies; ability to work within a team environment; ability to perceive problems and initiate timely corrective actions. Ability to learn current office and business software such as Microsoft Word, Teams, Outlook, Electronic Health Record and SharePoint.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in psychology, social science or related field or equivalent experience.
- Experience working with Young Adults who have mental health and co-occurring conditions in a residential setting preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Valid CT driver’s license, auto insurance and registration.
Mental Health Connecticut, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, religion, citizenship, national origin/ancestry, physical/mental disabilities, military status or any other basis prohibited by law. EOE, M/F/D/V
No Phone Calls Please