Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence
Position: Coordinator, Special Events
Location: Philadelphia, PA (currently remote, work-from-home)
Employment Status: Full time, exempt
Reporting to: Director, Corporate Relations & Events
Effective Date: 10.13.2021
JOIN A FORWARD-THINKING AGENCY THAT SEEKS TO ENSURE THAT ALL YOUTH ACHIEVE THEIR FULL POTENTIAL. Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence (BBBSI) is the largest BBBS agency in the state and fourth largest in the nation. Our mission is to ignite the power and promise of youth and close the mentoring gap, by creating and supporting one-to-one mentoring relationships and strengthening the quality of the mentoring field.
Reporting to the Director of Corporate Relations & Events, the Coordinator of Special Events is a critical member of the team responsible for the successful execution and fundraising associated with BBBSI’s portfolio of four signature events annually, focused toward the goal of enhancing our mission, efficiently increasing fund raising outcomes pre- and post-event, and ensuring excellent customer service. BBBSI is seeking an experienced fundraising events professional to help plan sustainable growth, and work with senior leadership and Board-chaired Special Event Committees to identify new revenue, maintain and elevate current sponsors, and expand special events capabilities with one of the country’s leading BBBS agencies.
Candidates with a strong connection to the community that BBBS Independence serves and the Southeastern Pennsylvania/Southern New Jersey area are given preferential consideration. Moderate travel to branch offices, community and corporate partners is required, as is some nights and weekend work.
Administration & Coordination
1. Working with the Director of Corporate Relations & Events, assist with the management and inspiration of the Special Events Committees for Agency Signature Events. Partner with, manage, and inspire the Special Event Committees as assigned.
2. Oversee volunteer management for Special Events as assigned.
3. In coordination with Director of Corporate Relations & Events, manage event production vendors and event-related technology platforms (GiveSmart).
4. Advance the mission and vision of the Agency, ensuring Program integration within each Special Event
5. Partner with the Manager, Data Analytics & Compliance, Finance Department, and other relevant staff to ensure thorough and accurate record-keeping/reconciliation, and effective reporting on Event & Sponsorship portfolio.
Event Management & Fundraising
1. Assist with Special Event fundraising including event auctions, ticket sales, and sponsorship. The Special Events portfolio aims to raise over $700,000 gross annually with a target of $1M gross fundraising in three years.
2. Working with the Director of Corporate Relations & Sponsorships, manage the production and execution of Signature Events as assigned including;
· Effective logistics management (e.g., guest experience, run of show, catering, AV, décor, parking, invitations, volunteer management)
· Event revenue enhancement initiatives (e.g., auctions, raffles)
· Manage the attendee list for each event and distribute regular reports to internal leadership
· Creation and implementation of event staffing plans utilizing Agency staff and community volunteers (when necessary)
· Collaboration with Marketing & Communications on Events Marketing, Campaign Development, and Communication
· Creation of regular fundraising progress reports to be distributed to Agency and Committee leadership
· Writing and distribution of all Committee meeting materials and minutes.
· Regular communication with Committee members and stakeholders to ensure progress toward the event goal.
· Reconciliation of all fundraising and completed distribution of all gift acknowledgements at the conclusion of the event.
3. When required, assist with the planning, communication, and management of deliverables from Third Party Events.
4. Maintain and grow a dynamic event sponsorship pipeline and portfolio, securing sponsorships through effective identification, qualification, cultivation, and solicitation either directly or through Special Event Committees, the Board, or Regional Advisory Boards
5. Steward sponsorship portfolio, local business, corporate partnerships, and other stakeholders. Build relationships that closely link the community with the Agency, serving as an exemplary Agency advocate in the community
6. Maintain assigned Indyforce records and campaigns
Academic Requirements: Minimum - Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
Professional Requirements: Minimum of 4 years as a fundraising special events professional, non-profit, human services environment preferred. Ability to work with many diverse constituencies. The successful candidate will display a record of leadership and accomplishment in special events with a proven track record of fundraising success, especially with planning/execution and in sponsorship solicitations. The successful candidate will document successful cultivation and solicitation of numerous sponsorships. Proficiency in Microsoft Office and donor CRM packages required. Must have daily and dependable access to a car, valid driver's license, and meet State-required automobile insurance minimums.
Personal Attributes: Results/outcome orientation with a proven track record of exceeding goals, strong written and verbal communication skills, ability to think strategically and anticipate future consequences, action oriented and promoter of operational agility to meet changing client/constituent needs/environmental changes. Strong yet collegial management style reflecting the ability to manage and lead people and groups, develop leaders and teams, and build organization and staff capacity and promote individual and organizational success. Exemplary interpersonal skills are essential, as is the ability to affect favorably sophisticated volunteers and donors. Attentive and active listening skills, organization, and evidence of a commitment to lifelong learning and professional growth are expected. Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation. Our best employees 1) set the bar high 2) are intentional and thoughtful about their choices 3) collaborate as a means to community solutions 4) are positive, can-do, and solution-oriented 5) embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion, and 6) are accountable and get it done.
Personal Attributes: Demonstrate leadership, dedication, and an interpersonal savvy that helps establish effective relationships and an appropriate rapport with people; attentive and active listening skills; results/outcome oriented; approachable, organized; and demonstrate sound judgment in a leadership capacity. Function well in a fast-paced environment, display a strong level of commitment and enthusiasm, demonstrate flexibility, and team player. Motivated to help deliver the core mission. Our best employees 1) set the bar high 2) are intentional and thoughtful about their choices 3) collaborate as a means to community solutions 4) are positive, can-do, and solution-oriented 5) embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion, and 6) are accountable and get it done.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing work in an office environment and include the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job: the ability to work independently; remain sedentary for extended periods of time (6+ hours per day); lift up to 40lbs; push, pull, bend kneel, as needed for normal operations. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.?
WHO SHOULD APPLY
Individuals with a passion for working with youth, and a desire to work for a strong mission driven organization should apply. At BBBSI, we serve more than 2,400 children annually in Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties in Pennsylvania, and Burlington, Camden and Gloucester Counties in New Jersey.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted online at https://www.independencebigs.org/. Note: only those applicants believed to be viable candidates for this opportunity will be contacted. No phone calls or 3rd party solicitation please.
Our aspiration is to develop an organization that reflects our constituent base. BBBSI promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds.
BBBSI promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. BBBSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected factor.
** This position is currently remote. However, the agency is in Phase 1 of return to work on a voluntary basis. As we see changes in our partner requirements that will ensure safety for their staff, students, and communities served, the agency is required to request proof of vaccination for those roles. In the event the agency decides to require vaccinations for all staff and transition back to in office operations, staff will be given a minimum of two (2) weeks advance notice.**