Alert Innovation is a growing start-up with a mission to re-invent retailing through robotics – and we’re off to a great start. We’ve partnered with world’s largest retailer to develop our Alphabot® technology, which will enable a new form of retail store. To succeed, we need to grow our team.
We seek to hire exceptional people who love their work, want it to be meaningful and collaborative, and strive for excellence in a team-oriented culture.
Alert Innovation offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package, including an equity stake in our growing company.
Full Time, Exempt
The System Electrical Engineering Team Lead will help us develop and support our state-of-the-art robotic material-handling system. The job entails overseeing the design of complex power distribution and control cabinets, cable management systems, and researching and guiding the team in electrical component selection. While this is not a PCB design role, the right candidate needs the skills to evaluate the pros/cons of a custom circuit boards, and when justified, define the requirements. We need manufacturable, modular, and scalable designs that minimize the work required for each new installation, so we can keep up with customer demands.
While a strong technical background is required, it is equally important that the candidate have strong leadership skills. We need someone who has experience mentoring, developing consensus and accountability, defining work processes, and developing / driving schedules as opposed to a chief problem-solver. We’re looking for someone who can help our resources stay aligned, appropriately prioritized, and work efficiently.
- Knowledge and experience designing and generating electrical documentation, schematics, wiring diagrams, specifications, mechanical drawings, test procedures for electric panels with PLCs, electrical and safety components, and experience creating / revising related documentation standards.
- Experience designing electrical systems for machines, capital equipment, facilities, or commercial / industrial structures.
- Familiar with the installation of conduit, cables trays and other cable management systems.
- Familiarity with machinery safety concepts and common safety building blocks (e-stops, safety relays, etc).
- Comfortable with common electrical test equipment (DVMs, oscilloscopes, function generators, etc).
- Experience designing custom cables and harnesses.
- Familiar with formal root cause analysis methods, 8D, 5 why, etc.
- Familiar with AutoCAD or AutoCAD electrical, a schematic capture tool (Altium or similar); SolidWorks a plus.
- Prefer knowledge of relevant domestic and international regulations (NFPA70, 79, UL508A, IEC 60204-1).
- Solid understanding of typical engineering phase gate processes.
- Experience working in companies that produce physical products.
- Automation experience is valued.
TEAMING & PERSONAL
- Experience with project management and schedule ownership, proven ability to deliver cross functional results.
- Familiarity with Agile and Waterfall methodologies and their pros/cons.
- Demonstrated servant leader.
- A love of making things to meet high personal standards.
- Self-motivated and able to work through ambiguity.
- Willingness to learn and grow as well as share knowledge.
- Detail oriented; willing and capable of documenting before designing.
- Ability to support or lead project teams as circumstances require.
- Works successfully in a collaborative team environment and constructively influences team decisions.
- Possesses business acumen, team facilitation skills, flexibility, independent thinking and responsibility for execution.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, able to communicate across all levels of the organization.
- Must be willing and able to travel within the USA and occasionally internationally (5%-10% travel may be required once we’re in production)
EDUCATION/RELATIVE YEARS EXPERIENCE
Position requires a master’s degree in Electrical, Systems, Controls Engineering or the equivalent in training and experience.
All members of Alert Innovation practice the following values as part of their daily responsibilities and model these values as she/he leads or supports their teams.
- The Golden Rule: Extraordinarily powerful in its simplicity and depth: “Treat others as you would want to be treated”.
- The Power of Person: The contribution of every single person in a company is important, and the performance of the entire company can only be maximized when every person strives to achieve his/her full potential and to contribute to the best of his/her ability.
- The Power of Team: The Power of Person becomes amplified exponentially when a group of people working effectively as a team create “performance synergy”, whereby the capacity to perform as a team is much greater than the sum of the individual members’ capacities.
- The Power of Truth: We strive to see the world as it is, not as we want or imagine it to be, because only then can we make it better. This core value manifests itself through questioning, probing, testing, measuring, validating, verifying, proving, listening with an open mind, and making fact-based decisions. It also fosters transparency and honesty with others, as well as self-examination and self-honesty.
Alert Innovation is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.