Avesta Housing is seeking a LPN Charge Nurse to work at our assisted living residence, 75 State Street. We offer flexible work schedules, opportunities for growth (including paid training), autonomy, and the ear of our leadership team. Our team is dedicated to supporting one another and providing our residents with sincere and thoughtful care. If you are looking to escape the frenzied pace of hospital and nursing home work, come join us at 75 State Street to obtain the work/life balance you have been searching!
Located in the historic West End neighborhood of Portland, Maine, 75 State Street is a nonprofit senior community offering a continuum of care that includes Independent Living and Assisted Living. Our mission is to promote the independence, dignity, and individuality of older people of all financial abilities by offering supportive programs and services in an urban, residential setting.
As a nonprofit organization, we care deeply about people – both for our residents who rely on 75 State Street to provide a safe, supportive environment in which to age in place, and for our staff – without whom we could not maintain our stellar reputation for care and community. When it comes to our staff, we strive to create strong teams, meaningful career growth, and an outstanding work environment.
POSITION SUMMARY: The role of the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) is to provide and ensure high quality care to the residents of the facility that is consistent with procedures outlined by Health Services and the mission of 75 State Street. Duties include medication administration, providing skilled nursing care, and oversight to caregivers on duty. Maintains resident confidentiality and abides by all relevant HIPAA regulations.
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the Nurse Practice Act and basic principles and guidelines of professional nursing.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary team and other service providers to develop and implement plan of care for residents. Keeps members informed of resident needs and changes in status by appropriate means.
- Obtain written physician orders and document verbal orders in residents’ record.
- Identify and delegate responsibilities to caregivers. Provides supervision to caregiver staff on duty.
- Provide direct resident care including assistance with bathing, dressing, ambulation, transferring, and other physical and personal care assistance as needed.
- Provide medication administration and document in residents’ medication administration records.
- Document resident information in Electronic Medical Records system; ensure documentation is complete, reflects care given and is completed by the end of the assigned shift.
- Maintain resident confidentiality and abide by all relevant HIPAA and HITECH regulations and uphold Resident Rights.
- Reports employee and residents’ incidents according to agency protocols.
- Provide a safe environment for residents; provides support in event of an emergency, maintains a clean environment and sanitary equipment, and ensuring adequate supplies.
- Provide assistance with equipment (i.e..: walkers, canes, etc.) as needed.
- Follow established safety procedures and report safety hazards promptly.
- Assist other nursing staff as necessary.
- Adheres to all Agency, State, and Federal policies and procedures, laws, and regulations.
- Must value and foster an environment that ensures respect, support and safety for all members of the 75 State Street community, and actively promote the expansion of ideas, perspectives, and understanding that comes from having a diverse and inclusive community.
- Remain at the facility until a replacement arrives or to cover additional shifts when necessary.
- Attend all mandatory in-service trainings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience working with the elderly in a personal care environment preferred.
- Valid Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) license.
- Valid CPR certification, or ability to obtain within one year of hire.
- Experience with Electronic Medical Records.
- Works with diverse social and economic situations without imposing own values; maintains professional boundaries.
- Good written and oral communication skills and ability to communicate with others.
- Ability to meet facility and state immunization requirements.
- Commitment to quality services and treating residents with dignity and respect.
- Ability to work effectively with others and portray a positive, team-player attitude.