The Chorus Librarian will report to the Chorus Manager and will handle the day-to-day functioning of the chorus library. This part-time, flexible position does require evening and weekend hours in line with the choruses’ rehearsal and performance schedule, in addition to weekday, daytime hours. Work will occur primarily at Music Hall (both in the Library and for performances) with additional work in alternate venues as rehearsals and performances dictate.
- Prepare chorus music for all Cincinnati Symphony and Pops Orchestra, May Festival, May Festival Youth Chorus, Vocal Arts Ensemble, and Classical Roots rehearsals and performances. General responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- In consultation with CSO librarians and the artistic leadership, selecting the correct edition/language/set of materials for each performance from the Chorus Library;
- Counting and numbering chorus parts;
- Distributing chorus parts to MFC, MFYC, VAE, and CRCMC personnel, and tracking each part until its return, communicating with the chorus manager on any delinquencies;
- Working with CSO librarians for ordering new chorus parts as needed;
- Distributing sets of chorus parts to the directors of outside choruses for their CSO/CPO/MF performances (including but not limited to SCPA choruses, Cincinnati Children’s Choir, and Cincinnati Boy Choir), and ensuring their safe return;
- Generate handouts for chorus members detailing cuts, measure numbers or rehearsal letters as needed
- Catalog and file new sets of chorus music.
- Maintain performance history records of all chorus music
- Expand digital archives.
- Create or refine systems to improve all aspects of the workflow
- Advise on deaccessioning plans, and assist with special projects as needed
- Support organization’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives as well as supporting a respectful organizational culture
- Other duties as assigned
- The successful candidate is expected to have a strong background in music and/or choral performance, and therefore will be knowledgeable in performance practices, music theory, and foreign language music terms. Working knowledge of office computer systems is also expected.
- The successful candidate will have prior chorus library experience.
- The successful candidate’s strengths will include:
- Attention to detail and ability to efficiently produce neat work;
- Ability to prioritize tasks and consistently meet deadlines;
- Ability to work independently;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- The successful candidate must be reliable, prompt, and must respect sensitive or confidential information.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate a commitment to the responsibilities of the MFC Library.
- The successful candidate will be able to physically move, lift, and carry boxes of music.
- Knowledge of OPAS or of music preparation software (such as Finale or Sibelius) is a plus.
Reporting Relationship: Chorus Manager
Wage Range: $16.00 - $18.00 per hour
- March – June: 10-15hrs a week
- July-February: 5-10hrs a week
*These hours can vary on performance needs