Department: Visitor Services
A Museum Attendant (MA) will be part of our Visitor Experience team, and requires a combination of customer service, visitor engagement, and basic art protection skills.
MAs are the stewards of the visitor’s experience at MASS MoCA. They enthusiastically and confidently share their knowledge about exhibitions and artists; promote educational and performing arts programs; explain MASS MoCA’s history and architecture; invite visitors to explore the North Adams community and the Berkshires at large; and impart any other information that provides visitors the best possible experience at the museum and in the surrounding community.
MA team members will be trained to interact with visitors of all ages, to foster connections between visitors and the works of art on view, and to encourage dialogue.
MAs ensure that artworks are protected and that visitors follow museum policies regarding parameters for food or drink in the galleries, photography of and contact with artwork, and current State of Massachusetts guidelines for social distancing.
Museum Attendants report to the Director of Visitor Experience, a newly defined leadership role at MASS MoCA, who, through collaboration with staff across the institution, provides oversight for all visitor experience functions, ensuring that our visitor experience aligns with the museum’s brand and mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrate the highest level of customer service, remaining professional, personable, and engaging to all museum visitors
- Answer a wide variety of visitor questions regarding art, exhibitions, MASS MoCA, and North Adams history
- Engage in dialogue about the art on view, inviting the visitor’s insights and perspectives and encouraging conversation and inquiry
- Protect the artwork by continuously observing visitors’ behavior while posted in specific areas or galleries, including monitoring for restricted items and touching of art
- Assist in wayfinding, providing directions and suggested routes of travel
- Implement time and line management for timed gallery experiences (includes use of iPad)
- Promote museum membership; understand any special promotions and changes
- Remain knowledgeable about exhibitions, educational opportunities for visitors, and performing arts programs, and promote all to visitors
- Attend all mandatory department meetings/trainings
- Work special events, performances, opening receptions, public programs, and other programs as assigned
- The Museum Attendant may be cross-trained in other visitor experience roles, including for the Box Office, and may be assigned job-share shifts as needed to support institutional needs
- Minimum of 1 year of front-line customer service experience; museum/cultural organization preferred
- High school education, GED, or equivalent
- College education in art history, and some museum or public/customer service work experience a plus
- Is comfortable with technology and/or willing to learn virtual reality set ups and use of iPad
- Demonstrates a passion and appreciation for art and willingness to share it with the public
- Has outgoing personality and is enthusiastic to interact with guests and colleagues
- Has commitment to providing excellent and impactful visitor experience
- Is capable of working in a fast-paced environment and interface effectively with visitors, and remaining calm and effective during high-traffic times
- Able to work alone and as part of a team
- Acts as a team player who works well with others, and shows courtesy and respect to colleagues
- Has strong people skills, including diplomacy and empathy
- Has exceptional verbal and communication skills
- Responds quickly and calmly to emergencies
- Is willing to assume responsibility
- This position requires the ability to work a flexible schedule, with availability on weekends and holidays, and for events, programs, and festivals, including those after museum hours
- This position may require work in dimly lit areas, and/or may be subject to strobe lights or other photosensitive situations
- The majority of the workday is spent indoors, but occasional special events, exhibitions, and/or festivals may require working outdoors and in inclement weather
- Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time, on and across various floor types
- Must be able to verbally communicate with guests
- Must be able to wear PPE when necessary
For employment at MASS MoCA, candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination will be required for employment.
As defined by the National Labor Relations Act, this position is part of the bargaining unit for UAW Local 2110.