This position is for a Human Resources Specialist in a fast-paced, technologically advanced printing company located in Des Moines, IA. This position assists with all HR related functions as they relate to policies and programs in the areas of payroll, benefits, compliance, and employee development. This person will also assist with payroll processing and support other HR functional areas including compensation, recruiting, internal communication, development of safety and training programs, and improvement of employee relations.
The ideal candidate will be a flexible, self-starter, able to manage multiple ongoing projects without close supervision in a fast-paced environment. Must be cooperative with all staff and supportive of employee concerns. Also, the ideal candidate must be able to connect with and offer outreach support to our out of state employees and their families, including understanding and communicating their employee benefits and ensuring they are treated with equal value as those in our home office. This position reports to the Human Resources Manager.
- Assist with processing new hires and terminations.
- Process payroll and OT reports.
- Assist with entering wage deductions, tax exemptions, 401(k) deferrals/loans, and direct deposit updates.
- Write and post job openings internally and externally using creative means to recruit most qualified applicants.
- Assist with candidate screening (review resumes and perform phone interviews as needed).
- Coordinate interview process with hiring managers.
- Implement new employee onboarding process including background screening and drug screen set up.
- Serve as point of contact for new hire orientation questions.
- Assist with benefits administration.
- Provide assistance regarding policies, practices, and procedures.
- Assist with managing annual open enrollment process.
- Assist with departmental and company-wide safety and disaster response programs.
- Maintain departmental files (employee, payroll, job descriptions, applicant, benefits, master forms, I-9, EEO).
- Ensure compliance with all legal and regulatory concerns.
- Manage employee manual and keep company policies up-to-date.
- Develop and manage employee recognition programs.
- BA/BS degree required in Human Resources, Business, or related field.
- Minimum 3 years of human resources administration and/or recruiting experience.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office - advanced Excel experience.
- Must have a good understanding of state and federal payroll tax, withholding, and unemployment tax issues.
- Experience in locating and hiring talent by unconventional and effective means.
- Ability to assess training requirements and recommend and implement solutions.
- Experience working in printing or graphic arts industry a plus.
- Experience with Paylocity payroll system.
Physical Demands: Must be able to sit for extended periods. Some standing and walking are required. Continuous vision required for detailed work. Frequent hand/wrist/finger movement for data entry.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work: This is a full-time, hourly, non-exempt position. Typical hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Typically works 40 hours per week with 1-2 hours over-time as needed.
TPI recognizes that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of the job. If your experience is close to what you see listed here, please still consider applying. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and excellence; therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions. Please let us know if you require accommodations during the interview process.