United Way of Connecticut, Rocky Hill, CT
Every hour of every day, people in Connecticut turn to United Way of Connecticut for help. We help people find and access the health and human services they need, including food, shelter, and other basic needs. We respond in the event of weather emergencies, natural disasters and family and personal crises of any kind. We assist parents and caregivers with finding the best child care for their family. If you’re an individual who wants to make a difference in the communities we serve, we have a Senior Accountant position open on our Finance team.
We’re looking for a self-starter who can work independently over a wide-breadth of responsibilities and projects as well as possess excellent analytical skills and a high level of accuracy. As a Senior Accountant, you will continuously analyze current accounting processes and present improvement recommendations.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Serves as the general ledger gatekeeper for accurate and consistent coding for all entries into the accounting system.
- Processes monthly journal entries utilizing system input functions.
- Reviews bi-weekly payroll upload for irregularities and resolves payroll errors with HRIS Analyst and Payroll Administrator, ensuring data quality before entering into the accounting system.
- Performs bank account reconciliations and related journal entries.
- Coordinates fulfillment of procurement requirements.
- Recommends and develops enhancements to current accounting processes and systems to improve efficiency and control.
- Performs quarterly general ledger reconciliations and researches and resolves any discrepancies.
- Assists with preparation for annual independent audit and IRS Form 990.
- Provides technical expertise for systems within the Finance Department including imports and exports to and from the Accounting system.
- Performs periodic internal audits in various finance areas.
- Liaison with State and/or Federal program administrators on assigned grants.
- Leads special projects with a strong ability to understand and creatively solve challenges.
- Coordinates inventory valuation with IT department and performs annual physical inventory.
- Serves as backup to Accounts Payable Coordinator and performs monthly A/P uploads.
The Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (Full-Time)
Compensation: $55,000 to $60,000 per year
- We offer an outright 8% 401(k) contribution.
- We also offer a generous benefits package which includes a significant health reimbursement account AND 4 weeks of Paid Time Off in a calendar year which increases based on length of service.
- 10 holidays per year.
- Tuition reimbursement program.
This position is Job Grade 16.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting plus two years of experience in an accounting department required.
- High level of proficiency with computerized accounting systems required. Experience with MIP/Sage/Abila preferred.
- Experience with state and federal contracts and allocations helpful.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel required.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications required.
- Strong analytical and reasoning skills to collect and interpret data, solve problems, and identify opportunities to improve processes.
- Strong interpersonal skills to develop productive working relationships in a team environment.
- Strong time-management, organization and prioritization skills.
- Strong customer focus in all tasks and activities, even while under pressure.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to perform job with integrity and values consistent with the UWC Mission.
THE APPLICATION DEADLINE IS February 6, 2019
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, United Way of Connecticut, Inc. desires priority referrals of protected veterans for positions at its location at 1344 Silas Deane Hwy, Rocky Hill, CT 06067. Any questions may be referred to Recruitment@ctunitedway.org.
United Way of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
United Way of Connecticut, Inc. endeavors to make www.ctunitedway.org accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact (860) 571-7500. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.