Alta Vista Solutions (Alta Vista) is a client-centered, multidisciplinary engineering firm focused on effectively and efficiently solving today’s engineering challenges to keep projects moving forward. Recognized for providing innovative, realistic, and practical solutions, Alta Vista has helped infrastructure owners deliver some of the world’s largest and most challenging projects. Everyone at Alta Vista shares one common goal: to Do Right by our clients, our infrastructure and our people. We are seeking individuals to join our team who want to make a positive impact on our transportation, work to solve complex problems, and have fun while learning and growing in a collaborative environment.
Alta Vista Solutions is looking for a Roadway Construction Inspector, who is interested in working on remote transportation projects within U.S. National Parks and Forest areas. The Roadway Construction Inspector must maintain positive working relationships with contractors, subconsultants, and state DOT or FHWA staff. The Roadway Construction Inspector will observe and report on the quality of construction activities for an assigned road construction project throughout the western U.S.
This position will work directly with a site project engineer, DOT or FHWA project manager who will establish clear expectations in terms of work quality, efficiency, and technical development. The employee in this position will work directly with the contractors and clients on technical aspects of the projects and therefore must be able to communicate technical requirements and deliverables clearly and concisely.
• Understand client and customer needs
• Operate within the customers’ safety protocols at all times
• Complete all required documentation including Inspector’s Daily Reports on a daily basis
• Review Contractor’s Daily Reports, Quality Control Supervisor’s Daily Report and all field documentation for accuracy and completeness
• Must be capable of performing inspection for quality workmanship, including field measurements of construction materials and products
• Monitor construction Contractor’s quality control operations, traffic control operations and monitor any special environmental contract requirements
• Identify changes, errors or field adjustments to the contract documents and recommend action to the Project Engineer
• Monitor construction Contractor’s schedule
• May perform duties of the Project Engineer in the absence of the representative
• Understanding, knowledge, and certifications in inspection related to roadwork: compaction, gradation, asphalt paving, concrete (compressive and flexural), survey, reinforcement methods, drainage structures, riprap placement, subgrade stabilization and traffic safety
• Understanding of contract plans and specifications for highway construction.
• Has knowledge of OSHA guidelines and safe work practices
• Proficiency in the following highway construction inspection services:
o Asphalt pavement construction including hot plant inspection;
o Bridge construction including Portland cement batch plant inspection;
o Construction staking;
o Construction traffic control;
o Drainage structures (ditches, culverts, inlets);
o Erosion control, landscaping, mulching and seeding;
o Highway earthwork and grading;
o Highway materials testing;
o Miscellaneous highway construction features;
o Pavement striping;
o Post tensioned concrete construction;
o Recycled asphalt construction (milling and grinding);
o Structural concrete and steel construction;
o Subgrade and base course construction;
o Tunnel grouting and rock bolting;
o Wetlands mitigation and replacement;
o Retaining walls;
o Pavement preservation (chip seals, slurry seals, etc.);
o Underground utilities; and
o Sanitary sewer systems.
o 10-Years of increasingly responsible experience in highway/bridge construction projects, as an inspector, project engineer or equivalent, and specific experience related to highway/bridge construction inspection services, or
o Licensed Professional Engineer in Civil Engineering; or BS in Civil Engineering; or BS in Construction Management, and 3 years of on-site project administration experience as a project engineer, project manager for highway/bridge construction, or
o NICET certifications- Level III (Construction), and Associate’s degree in engineering technology, and 7 years of applicable experience,
o Other education, certificates and experience may be acceptable and will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
• Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Must possess effective time management skills
• Must meet internal requirements for operation of company vehicles throughout duration of employment and must maintain a valid driver's license and insurable driving record.
• Must be willing and able to travel to job sites, sometimes for extended periods. Job sites may be located throughout western U.S., in remote areas.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, such as Word, Excel, Outlook and Teams.
• Must be able to travel 75%-100% of the time
Physical Demands and Work Conditions:
• Standing, walking, sitting, lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, reaching, handling, fingering, feeling, talking, hearing, visual acuity, accommodation and color vision
• Moving, carrying and lifting objects in excess of 50 pounds
• Working extended hours and standing for extended periods of time
• Working in indoor and outdoor environments in conditions of extreme heat and cold
• Work in and near industrial hazards
• Working in remote project sites
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.