The National Retail Federation (NRF) has represented retail for over a century. Every day, we passionately stand up for the people, policies and ideas that help retail thrive. As the nation’s largest private-sector employer, retail contributes $2.6 trillion to the annual gross domestic product (GDP); no other industry comes close. Wherever the industry goes, the nation follows — so we’re committed to helping retail go further.
NRF has an excellent opportunity for an experienced Attorney to manage NRF’s portfolio of eCommerce issues and partner with NRF’s General Counsel to support legal programming and member engagement.
- Manage key industry issues and provides substantive expertise on marketplaces and other emerging digital platforms, stolen goods, counterfeit and IP-related issues
- Lead external member council meetings and engage with industry legal representatives to gather perspectives on legislation and regulation
- Serve as principal staff liaison for external working groups, specialized forums and communities
- Support General Counsel with management of legal programming and law firm relationships for audience of in-house retail lawyers
- Lead the planning and execution of NRF’s annual Retail Law Summit
- Identify advocacy support opportunities, including strategy development and risk analyses
- Develop opportunities for new and expansion/growth of existing offerings
- Draft letters and position papers and formulate policy which aligns NRF’s advocacy agenda and strategic plan
- Research and develop regular legal content for website
- Provide effective identification and mitigation of legal risks tied to business opportunities
- Hire and oversee the work of outside counsel for ongoing legal efforts and special projects
- Perform other duties as assigned
- J.D. required
- Licensed to practice law in the District of Columbia or eligible for such admission promptly upon hiring
- Minimum six years of legal experience in the public or private sector; association or retail industry experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate complex messages to diverse audiences to all levels of an organization, both verbally and in writing
- Exemplary written and oral communications skills, including the ability to summarize issues and the means to address them
- Leadership skills, seasoned judgment, high integrity and the ability to learn quickly, gain credibility and influence
- Must be confident, with strong interpersonal skills, and must have the capacity to develop productive relationships at all levels, establish trust and provide thoughtful counsel
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities, manage projects, organize time and identify resources for projects
- Some travel
National Retail Federation (NRF) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NRF is committed to the policy of an equal employment opportunity in recruitment, hiring, career advancement, and all other personnel practices. All employment decisions and matters will be made and occur without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family responsibilities, political affiliation, matriculation, veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic in accordance with applicable laws.