About Research Square
Research Square Company, a five-time INC 5000 award winner, exists to make research communication faster, fairer, and more useful. Through our industry-leading preprint platform, Research Square, research promotion tools, and AJE’s comprehensive suite of manuscript preparation services, we are proud to have supported over 2.5 million authors in 192 countries since our founding in 2004. Across all sides of our business, our team of former researchers and publishing industry professionals truly understand the importance of sharing research results with the world. By helping researchers communicate their work more effectively, we accelerate the pace of global discovery and advancement.
Are you interested in shaping a platform that helps scientists share research fast and effectively? Do you want to help build tools that cut the wait time for feedback and recognition? So that authors can focus on boosting the impact of their work. Building their career. Or enjoying life outside of work. Then come join us in creating a global community dedicated to helping society by accelerating the pace of research.
Research Square is on a mission to make research communication faster, fairer, and more useful. To help fulfill that mission, the User Experience Design (UXD) team is looking for a Senior UX Designer to join us. In this role you will design customer journeys between researchers and Research Square publishing-based services. We're looking for someone with excellent problem-solving abilities who can turn technology affordances into simple, intuitive experiences for everyday users.
The Lead Designer/Sr. UX Designer for our Digital Services will work with engineering and product management to create industry-leading products that deliver value for the people who use them, and for Research Square’s businesses. This role will work with a team of designers and user researchers and report to the Director of UX Design. You’ll help guide the processes for how the team works. Making sure everyone is supported and doing the best work of their lives. You’ll also work closely with the Director of Product for Digital Services to set the roadmap and priorities for the future.
Our product group is made up of multi-disciplinary teams of UX Designers, Researchers, Writers, Content Strategists, Product Managers, and Engineers. We care deeply about the people who use our products.
Our UX team plays an integral part in gathering insights about the attitudes, emotions, and behaviors of people who use our products to inspire and inform design solutions.
We are intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining talent from diverse backgrounds. We’re looking for a new teammate who is empathetic, curious, motivated, reliable, and able to work effectively with a diverse team of peers; someone who will help us amplify the positive & inclusive team culture we are building.
- Collaborate with product managers, engineers, and cross-functional stakeholders to understand requirements, and provide creative, thoughtful solutions for complex design and technical problems.
- Participate in refining, identifying, and defining design patterns, standards, methods, and/or processes with your team.
- Create solutions that demonstrate knowledge of the capabilities and constraints of the technology stack.
- Communicate the user experience at various stages of the design process by developing wireframes, flow diagrams, storyboards, mockups, and/or high fidelity prototypes.
- Align with partner teams to identify and aggregate disparate qualitative and quantitative data to inform design solutions at the product level.
- Foster consensus and trust with colleagues and find a way forward when confronted with discordant views.
- Contribute to the professional development of colleagues and help improve their design skills.
- Advocate for the prioritization of design centered changes, refinements, and improvements and present concepts, proposals, and updates to executive stakeholders.
- Bachelor's degree in Design or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 to 8 years of relevant industry experience designing across multiple platforms.
- 2 years experience as a Senior Designer/Researcher leading strategy and design across a team.
- Experience collaborating and communicating with senior stakeholders.
- Experience collaborating with UX design teams throughout the design process; creating user-flows and wireframes to build user-interface mockups and prototypes.
- Portfolio highlighting multiple projects and your direct contributions.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with an ability to articulate design decisions to other designers, PMs, and senior executive management.
- Experience leading design projects in a collaborative multi-disciplinary team including designers, product managers, and engineers.
- Experience measuring the impact of your work against key business and customer experience goals.
- Experience with design coaching—you know how to make an impact through empowering, growing, and motivating other designers.
- Understanding of how to uncover user needs through research and user empathy.
- Experience designing for any of the following: consumer, e-commerce, or content creation apps
- A strong sense of design ethics—understanding that the design decisions we make at Research Square impact millions of researchers, every month.
- Relocation is not required as this position can be remote-based.
- This is a US-based role.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Working at Research Square Company
Our team embraces and fuels change, fights for simplicity invest in customers’ success, and applies a data-driven approach to continuously improve and magnify our impact. We have developed tools and services that have been adopted by major international publishers to improve the publishing experience for their authors.
We are a high-growth, family-friendly, and mission-driven company that regularly wins awards for our workplace culture, the pace of growth, and innovations. Our organization is casual and flexible while also being stimulating and dynamic. We have a results-focused work environment.
- Sloan Award for Workplace Flexibility (2011, 2012)
- When Work Works Award (2014, 2016, 2017)
- NC Parenting Magazine’s Family Friendly 50 (2013, 2014)
- Triangle Business Journal's Best Places to Work (2017, 2019, 2020)
- NCBC Breastfeeding-Friendly Employer Award (2017)
- Family Forward NC Featured Business (2019)
Research Square Company’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunity in all its employment practices without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, marital status, protected veteran status, military status, age, individuals with disabilities, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression or any other legally protected category. Applicants for US-based positions with Research Square must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required as a condition of hire.
Research Square supports individuals with disabilities and provides reasonable accommodations to job applicants. If you need assistance completing our online job application, email Recruitment@researchsquare.com. General inquiries, such as those regarding the status of a job application, will not receive a reply.