Interested in working with a dynamic, growing company? Are you organized, enjoy a fast-paced environment, and like to work as part of a team? Do you love cheese? If you answered YES to any of these questions, then read on.
Owned by the Giacomini family Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Company (PRFC) is known for its award-winning artisan cheese produced right on the farm where the cows are raised. PRFC offers a truly unique work environment -- and one where the employees work hard, have fun and enjoy a lot of very special (and delicious) benefits.
This position is based at our production facility located in Petaluma, CA.
HOW WE ARE PROTECTING OUR EMPLOYEES At Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese, employee health and safety is our top priority. We have implemented additional processes and precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our facilities. We provide gloves, masks, and hand sanitizer to all essential employees who must report to work. Before entering our warehouse, employees have their temperatures checked. In addition, we take great care to ensure frequently touched surfaces are sanitized throughout the day and all warehouses are fully sanitized daily.
We have also implemented an Emergency Sick Leave policy providing employees additional paid time off and adhere to all state and federal time off leaves for a confirmed case of COVID-19.
As the Purchasing Coordinator, you will manage the purchase of products and services for the company as well as cycle, month-end and quarterly inventory counts and distribution of materials for production needs. You will serve as the liaison in negotiations between Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese and its suppliers. It is your responsibility to assess vendors, negotiate new deals and renegotiate expiring contracts, and place orders for products and services in collaboration with other department managers.
As a condition of employment we ask that you attest that you have been vaccinated for Covid-19 unless you have a medical or sincerely held religious belief that exempts you from getting vaccinated.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Selecting the most suitable suppliers in terms of reliability, and cost.
- In-depth knowledge of forecast/demand planning (run rates, inventory on hand, and SKUs.)
- Work with operations team for routine inventory counts (monthly, quarterly, annual).
- Requesting cost proposals and negotiating contracts and prices.
- Preparing and processing purchase orders – updating ERP and affected departments of critical delivery revisions communicated by vendors
- Maintaining records of all transactions, purchase orders, receipts, and payments – including internal materials transfers between departments and job sites
- Develop processes and procedures related to materials requests from other departments and reinforcing best practices to maintain real-time inventory stock counts.
- Scheduling and verifying deliveries.
- Building and maintaining positive, long-term supplier relations.
- Working with the Warehouse Supervisor to ensure no material is misplaced and suitable space is staged for deliveries.
- Following up on expected deliveries with Vendors and Warehouse Supervisor.
- Acting as receiver and materials handler in the absence of the Warehouse Manager(s) when they are working offsite.
- Manage Shipping and Receiving daily records in the dry warehouse area. Communicates with recipients and transfers bill of loading’s to accounting
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
• Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
• Excellent interpersonal and clerical skills - ability to develop good working relationships with strong communication skills
• Able to work independently with little supervision
• Exceptional attention to detail and ability to follow up on all details of the job to ensure completeness and accuracy
• Experience with ERP systems a plus (current system is Sage 100).
• Proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office (specifically strong Excel capabilities a must) is required
• Strong negotiation skills.
• Strong research and analytical skills
• Minimum 2 years working experience in a purchasing department.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and business ethics
• Excellent internal and external customer service required
• Experience in entering data with attention to detail
• Comfortable in a deadline-driven, project-focused, and fast-paced environment
• Strong multitasking and superior organizational skills are paramount
• Skills in logistics and warehouse planning/management
• Experience with, or a willingness to be trained on, use of forklift
This job operates in an office & warehouse environment – including cold temperatures in refrigerated/freezer areas and containers. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, bend, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. Must be able to regularly lift 50 lbs.; occasionally up to 75 lbs.
POSITION TYPE AND EXPECTED DAYS OF WORK
Full Time Position – 5 days a week (Monday - Friday)
Some travel between both PRFC locations maybe needed from time to time.
The law makes it illegal to discriminate against someone based on race, color, religion, national origin, or sex. The law also makes it illegal to retaliate against a person because the person complained about discrimination, filed a charge of discrimination, or participated in an employment discrimination investigation or lawsuit. The law also requires that employers reasonably accommodate applicants' and employees' sincerely held religious practices, unless doing so would impose an undue hardship on the operation of the employer's business.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.