Alert Innovation is a 2-year-old startup on a mission to re-invent retailing through robotics. Having partnered with world’s largest retailer to develop our revolutionary Alphabot® technology, we have an enormous market opportunity in front of us and are now beginning to scale the company by hiring exceptional people who love their work, want it to be meaningful, strive for excellence, and thrive in a highly collaborative team-oriented culture.
WHY A ROBOTICS EMBEDDED CONTROLS ENGINEER
Full Time, Exempt
The Robotics Embedded Controls Engineer (RECE) is responsible for contributing to the sensing, localization, motion, and actuation of the robotic platform to deliver a robust, reliable solution with high throughput. The position requires taking personal ownership to design, document, communicate, implement, and test software components within a complex system. The RECE must be able to efficiently apply first order solutions while considering a long-term approach in a quick and dynamic environment. The RECE will also work closely with a team of senior engineers to actively propose and collaborate on solutions.
Alert Innovation offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package, including an equity stake in our growing company.
WHAT WILL YOU LOVE?
- Taking on challenges that broaden your skillset
- Being a part of a curious and collaborative culture committed to something bigger than themselves
- Expressing insights based on your experience and observations
- Working with a team and engaging with others
- Contributing to the realization of our mission and changing the way an entire industry operates
- You exude dedication and commitment to your work that makes others want you on their team
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Collaborate inter-team and cross-functionally to deploy controls solutions using C++
- Clearly document requirements and design
- Provide and continuously track to accurate task timelines
- Design concepts, demonstrate in simulation, implement in software, and integrate on hardware
- Actively perform root cause analysis and apply solutions
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Minimum of a Master’s technical degree (or the equivalent in training and experience) with a background in robotics, high-tech, or electro-mechanical product companies or graduate work.
- Proficient and experienced in the application of classical control theory
- Understand frequency domain and performance analysis
- Ability to derive kinematic, frame transformation, and 2nd order dynamic equations
- Experienced in C++ with focus in object-oriented design and abstraction. Bonus to be familiar with modern C++ (11/14)
- Basic understanding of digital signal processing and filtering
- Familiarity with sensing and actuation technologies
- Demonstrated experience with physical hardware beyond simulations
- Ability to develop test plan, execute, and analyze results
- Ability to execute data analysis / post-processing, simulation, and concept demonstrations in MATLAB
- Knowledge of modern linear control theory, including estimators and observers
- Knowledge of system modeling, identification, and linearization
- Experience with embedded, real-time operating systems
- Ability to understand electro-mechanical robotics platform and how components interact
- Ability to instrument software unit tests and hardware-based integration tests for complex systems
- Experience with version control, task planning and tracking
- Familiarity with Linux
WHAT ARE OUR CORE VALUES?
All members of Alert Innovation practice the following values as part of their daily responsibilities and model these values as she/he leads or supports their teams.
- The Golden Rule: Extraordinarily powerful in its simplicity and depth: “Treat others as you would want to be treated”.
- The Power of Person: The contribution of every single person in a company is important, and the performance of the entire company can only be maximized when every person strives to achieve his/her full potential and to contribute to the best of his/her ability.
- The Power of Team: The Power of Person becomes amplified exponentially when a group of people working effectively as a team create “performance synergy”, whereby the capacity to perform as a team is much greater than the sum of the individual members’ capacities.
- The Power of Truth: We strive to see the world as it is, not as we want or imagine it to be, because only then can we make it better. This core value manifests itself through questioning, probing, testing, measuring, validating, verifying, proving, listening with an open mind, and making fact-based decisions. It also fosters transparency and honesty with others, as well as self-examination and self-honesty.
Alert Innovation is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.