This position provides, with mitigated risk, the "fun" and adventures to be had with the Challenge Course (adventures such as the 3D Climbing Wall, Leap of Faith, Zip line etc.) along with other recreation activities such as drift trikes, axe throwing, archery tag and indoor swimming pool as well as other activity spaces and equipment for group activities and games. All while providing the necessary risk management policy and procedure for related areas and functions. This position will also serve as lead facilitator, supervisor and program staff as needed. As the manager of the Activities team, the person in this position will engage in all of the current and future programs and activities needed by Black Diamond Camp (BDC) and help provide the Christ-like change that comes through authentic relationships, biblical truth and outdoor adventures. The person in the position shall, at all times, demonstrate cooperative behavior towards colleagues, guests and supervisors. Regular attendance and adherence to published schedule is required for this position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide leadership and vision to the Challenge Course and Activities team.
- Maintain necessary certifications, personally and throughout the team.
- Work with the Youth Ministries and Guest Services team to develop direction for future challenge course/recreation activities projects and programs.
- Oversee risk management procedures and policies for guests and staff involvement in Challenge Course and Recreational Activities, including compliance with the Safety Program.
- Provide oversight to ensure that the Challenge Course is up to ACCT standards in both operation and structural integrity.
- Oversee inspections and maintenance of low and high challenge course elements and playground equipment.
- Oversee and ensure compliance to safety and procedural standards in Challenge Course and recreational management; including but not limited to documentation of policies and procedures, training, staff skill sheets and gear.
- Select, train, schedule and supervise staff and volunteers with safety as a priority.
- Communicate with facilitators regarding scheduling, group needs assessments, program schedules, procedure updates or other relevant information.
- Coordinate recreation needs for BDC programs.
- Purchase and maintain necessary Challenge Course and Recreational activity.
- Work with group leaders to develop a flexible and relevant program that meets their objectives.
- Ensure proper needs assessment, planning, staffing and evaluation occurs for Challenge Course program.
- Assist with booking and promoting Challenge Course Programs as needed.
- Assist with maintenance of trails, according to BDC trail standards.
- Oversee all recreational activities areas so that they are clean, neat, organized and professional in appearance.
- Oversee the pool with the assistance of the facilities director, ensuring the provision of adequate equipment, staffing, certifications; and adherence to safety standards and procedures.
- Develop an annual budget and operate within its guidelines.
- When appropriate, build and implement new challenge course elements and challenge course programs.
- Develop partnerships and volunteers as a resource base for fresh ideas and facilitators.
- Other duties as assigned, which may include cross-training into other areas.
Warm Beach Camp Ministries exist to share the hope and love of Christ through camping ministries and experiences in the Pacific Northwest.
At Black Diamond Camp, we exist to inspire Christ-like change through outdoor adventure, authentic relationships and biblical truth.
At Rainier Camp and Retreat Center, we exist to provide Christ-centered hospitality to groups seeking adventure in God's wild creation.
This is a full-time, year-round position.
Directly supervises up to 20 employees in the Hospitality Department. Carries out the supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to respond promptly to customer needs and improve service to guests.
- Ability to work as part of a team and set an example for staff.
- Planning and organizing to use time and resources efficiently.
- Able to set programmatic goals and objectives.
- Innovative in solving problems and creating solutions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university in Recreation, Environmental Education, Natural Science with teaching certification; or four year's related experience and/or training: or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, percentages, ratios, circumference and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
CPR, AED and First Aid certification
ACCT Level 2 Challenge Course certification
Up-to-date Challenge Course Portfolio with minimum of 500 hours facilitation experience ACCT In-House Challenge Course Inspector certification
Driver's license and desire/ability to drive BDC vehicles as needed
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less), distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more), color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors), peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left and right while eyes are fixed on a given point), depth perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships), and the ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus.)
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme cold; extreme heat and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This employee will be available to be cross-trained into other areas of the ministry as needs arise.