3SquaresVT is our first line of defense against hunger. It is a proven program that centers customer choice by boosting food budgets. This position is part of a team working to raise public awareness about 3SquaresVT and address gaps in access among eligible Vermonters. Primary responsibilities for this position include responding to community member inquiries and application assistance. This position will also assist with partnership building, and varied outreach and anti-stigma efforts.
This position works as part of a cross-functional Community Impact team at the foodbank that is developing and implementing strategies to strengthen communities and address the root causes of hunger. Pay for this position is expected to fall between $20.00 to $22.00 an hour, and is an hourly position.
A portion of this position’s workload can be handled remotely, however applicants should be able to commute to one of the Foodbank’s facilities (Brattleboro, Rutland, or Barre) as needed, with a preference for Brattleboro or Rutland.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Application Assistance (inquiries, resources training, apps, includes tracking)
- Develop and maintain an in-depth knowledge of 3SVT policies and procedures in order to effectively serve community members requesting 3SVT application assistance and information;
- Daily: Respond to inquires received by phone, email, and text to assess eligibility, answer questions, offer 3SVT application assistance and guidance, and make referrals to other resources and programs.
- Weekly: Guide eligible customers through the 3SVT application process frequently by phone and occasionally in-person, and follow up as needed;
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of other public assistance programs in order to connect customers with available resources, recognizing that food insecurity is connected to many other issues;
- Develop fluency and eventually leadership with a range of technology and tools related to inquiry systems, including a customer-tracking database and texting program
- Conduct occasional visits to community sites as identified by 3SVT team to share information about 3SquaresVT.These may include food shelves, meal sites, college campuses, or other locations.
- Build community awareness of 3SquaresVT through methods such as dissemination of materials, presentations, tabling at events, writing blogs, and social media campaigns
- Over time, assist in identifying, developing, and testing new technology, communication, and inquiry strategies that strengthen the reach or efficiency of the 3SVT team
- Partner with 3SVT teammates and/or lead projects to test innovative outreach strategies
- Collaborate within the Community Impact team and across departments to identify opportunities for growth with community outreach and customer experience;
- Participate in statewide workgroup and local coalitions to identify gaps in access to 3SquaresVT
- Build strategic partnerships with organizations that help community members overcome barriers to 3SquaresVT. This includes cultivating referrals and building bridges between services and programs.
- Elevate the voices of people with lived/living experience of 3SquaresVT by incorporating story gathering in application assistance process and story sharing in work to raise public awareness; partner with Vermont Foodbank communications team in anti-stigma efforts and synthesize/share emerging community feedback and needs to relevant staff
- Advance human-centered design in outreach tools and processes by identifying opportunities for community member feedback; build towards those most impacted by 3SquaresVT having a say in designing and implementing solutions.
- Honor diversity, and build equity and racial justice into Vermont Foodbank’s organizational practices related to 3SquaresVT
- Provide monthly reports to support grant reporting requirements and team-wide continuous quality improvement practices;
- Help the VFB’s 3SquaresVT Outreach Team maintain a statewide presence by serving as a resource to agencies, interns/volunteers, coworkers and individuals who have questions about 3SquaresVT
- Act as a representative of the Vermont Foodbank. Be able to answer questions about the organization, promote and advocate for VF’s work. This position may include spoken or written press opportunities.
- Work cooperatively and able to communicate with staff and volunteers to support the mission of VF to meet and sustain VF goals.
- The Foodbank relies on volunteers every day to fulfill our mission. All Foodbank employees must support our culture of philanthropy by treating every volunteer with appreciation and respect.
- This position may occasionally be required to travel to other Foodbank locations and to attend required meetings, trainings, etc.
- Collaborate with a diverse range of individuals and organizational partners to promote and inform VF & 3SVT outreach and community engagement opportunities;
- In instances of a federal, state or locally declared emergency, Vermont Foodbank is typically considered an essential service and emergency responder; all of its employees may be called in to perform regular or emergent duties.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Community Resources.
Education and/or Experience:
- Knowledge of and experience with issues related to hunger, poverty, and nutrition preferred;
- HS Diploma or equivalent and at least 1 year of experience in a customer-facing position, where knowledge and abilities have been demonstrated, preferably in the Human Services environment.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent customer service skills, empathy, discretion, and flexible communication skills are important.
- Ability to remain calm, patient, and friendly with customers;
- Commitment to promoting VT Foodbank’s mission, vision, and values;
- Passion for hunger relief, social justice, and interest in public benefits assistance or social work;
- Detail oriented and ability to multi-task;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Strong commitment to collaborative decision-making, teamwork, and communication as part of a larger team.
- Self-motivated and able to work in partnership with a team
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite and other emerging technologies;
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with diverse groups of people at all times including other staff, donors, volunteers, and the general public;
- Ability to drive, access to personal transportation, excellent driving history, and current insurance card required.