Position: Senior Manager, Data Systems & Quality
Salary Range: $83,000 – 88,000
Business Unit: Operations
Department: Research & Data
Reports To: Director, Research & Data
Posted: January 3- 17, 2022
Funding Status: 100% Program
About Philadelphia Works, Inc.
Philadelphia Works, Inc is the City’s Workforce Development Board. We are a quasi-public, non-profit organization serving both career seekers and employers. We invest public resources in a variety of workforce solutions. These solutions connect Philadelphia residents with employment and training opportunities and help employers find, grow, and retain local talent. For more information about our dedicated board members and staff, workforce news, labor market data, services, innovative initiatives, and current opportunities to connect, please visit www.philaworks.org.
This position directs Philadelphia Works’ Data Systems & Quality team. The department is accountable for three key interconnected areas of responsibility across career-seeker and employer programs and special initiatives:
1. Data entry (including systems training)
2. Data quality
3. Data systems management
This position champions and drives projects forward, partnering across internal and external teams to successfully plan, implement and evaluate projects. The position effectively creates and tracks tight project timelines, holding the Data Systems & Quality team and partner teams accountable for project achievements and deadlines. These projects range from development and ongoing maintenance of custom data collection applications, to improvement of data entry timeliness and completeness, to training of partner staff on new data entry processes, and more.
This position will be responsible for the following duties:
- Drive projects through planning, implementation and evaluation across Philadelphia Works teams; training providers; PA CareerLink® centers; apprenticeship partners; employers; strategic initiative partners; and other external entities.
- Create and maintain accountability for tight project timelines and ensure steps in each timeline are met across teams.
- Proactively communicate across teams, functions and roles to increase shared understanding of project developments and responsibilities.
- Proactively identify challenges in partners’ daily work in relation to data entry and their interactions with data systems. Propose short-term and long-term solutions.
- Strive to align data from multiple disparate sources and custom low-code/no-code application development systems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Oversee the creation and maintenance of the data entry guidelines/standard operating procedures with the Workforce Systems Analysts for internal and external partners that facilitates accurate, timely and complete data entry in support of state and federal requirements.
- Maintain strong working knowledge of state and federal data entry and quality guidelines, including the WIOA PIRL; WIOA program performance; EARN performance; CWDS data entry guidance; and other requirements.
- Guide the Workforce Systems Analysts as they maintain the Data Entry, Systems & Quality SharePoint so that it contains how-to posts and manuals with the most up-to-date guidance for the audience.
- Ensure effective communication of new guidelines/standard operating procedures to all relevant parties in a timely and thorough manner.
- Guide the creation and maintenance of a Systems Training Plan, which Workforce Systems Analysts will create and execute. This plan includes training on all relevant topics across programs and entities by whom data entry is required.
- Oversee implementation of new data entry and quality processes across stakeholders.
- Track data quality “performance” across data entry teams (centers; Youth providers; System-wide; etc.) and communicate results to teams effectively, offering support and further guidance.
- Create and maintain tools for data quality measurement for teams who manage data entry.
- Partner with the Program Monitors to ensure that partners meet data validation and audit requirements such as performance validation; monthly sampling; time and attendance; and program-specific requirements.
- Ensure that the Data Systems & Quality team builds strong working relationships with partners, supporting with technical guidance and asking for feedback on pain points.
Technical Data Systems
- Lead the development and ongoing maintenance of new custom data systems, including:
o Ensure staff training and certification on new system (including self)
o Plan or “map out” application development prior to building, including all data tables; workflows; user roles; security settings; and other key elements.
o Create planning documentation and provide to the Data Systems Analysts as a guide for building new applications.
o Direct and support the Data Systems Analysts as they build new applications.
o Ensure testing and proper preparation of applications before publishing.
o Ensure quick corrective action when errors occur.
- Use knowledge of relational databases and data normalization to create new data table structures and create relationships between tables effectively.
- Create and maintain documentation for all active data systems and processes, to ensure shared knowledge of workflows and technical details.
- Create and maintain security requirements for all data systems beginning from the planning phase through maintenance, as required by the state and federal governments and internal IT, Compliance and Research & Data requirements.
- Lead planning and implementation for API integrations in owned and non-owned systems and support the Data Systems Analysts as they build these integrations.
- Lead planning and implementation for Research & Data’s supporting role in projects with the PHL Career Portal (learning management system).
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Data Science, Computer Science or related field with 7 years of technical experience in a data-driven role and 5 years in a leadership capacity.
Or, any combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- A proven background of leadership experience ensuring all staff are accountable and provided the necessary tools for technical and developmental success
- Ability to drive projects across teams, amidst competing priorities
- Ability to identify challenges and propose both short-term and long-term solutions
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Must be detail oriented and highly organized with strong analytical skills
- Able and open to learn new systems and technical processes quickly
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel.
- Knowledge of relational database development and relational database programming languages such as R or SQL
- Must be able to meet deadlines and work on multiple projects on tight timelines
- Ability to relate to people of diverse educational and cultural backgrounds as well as government agencies, public officials and all levels of management
What We Offer
Philadelphia Works offers qualifying full-time employees with a competitive benefits program including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), tuition assistance, life and disability. We also offer company paid vacation, personal and sick leave days.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Philadelphia Works is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, transgender status, and gender identity), gender, creed, age, national origin, ancestry, familial status, religion, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual preference, political affiliation, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws, in all matters pertaining to recruitment, selection, compensation, training, advancement and promotion, retention, discipline, and termination.