For over 50 years, Legal Aid Chicago has provided free civil legal assistance to people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago. Each year our attorneys, volunteers, and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions. Legal Aid Chicago was founded on the philosophy that all individuals are entitled to quality civil legal representation, regardless of their income. We work to ensure that poverty is not an impediment to justice by dismantling the legal barriers that perpetuate inequality. Legal Aid Chicago staff live our mission through our core values of equity, excellence, inclusion, kindness, and respect.
Position: Legal Aid Chicago seeks a full time Social Worker to be a part of its Client Support Services department (CSS). CSS staff are part of an interdisciplinary legal services model, working with attorneys and paralegals to provide holistic services to Legal Aid Chicago clients to increase their stability and achieve success in their case. This position will be primarily dedicated to supporting clients experiencing housing instability due to eviction, conditions issues, domestic violence, and disability. The Social Worker reports to a Supervisory Social Worker.
Responsibilities include, without limitation:
- Assess client needs and link them to appropriate services, such as rental assistance, self-help services, community mental health services, job and housing services
- Advocate for and support clients’ interaction with service providers, caseworkers, and others, including independent review of reports, treatment plans, and other materials issued by social services agencies
- Consult with Legal Aid Chicago attorneys and staff on behalf of clients, including analysis of social work and mental health issues impacting clients, and identification of services to resolve issues which arise during the legal representation
- Conduct follow up with other agencies and service providers to ensure compliance with agreed upon or court-ordered treatment
- Participate in case acceptance and case evaluation meetings with legal staff
- Assist other staff in making informed decisions about case management issues, including assessing client’s capacity to benefit from proposed services
- Conduct independent research on issues relating to clients’ mental health and other social service issues and social science research to assist legal staff in understanding larger, systemic issues impacting our client population
- Conduct in-house training and education for staff on mental health, social work and other issues
- Participate in community legal education for client groups and service providers
- Supervise social work internship students
- Assist with grant reporting, as applicable
- Perform such other duties as are reasonably related to the duties of the Social Worker as may be assigned from time to time by the supervisor
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Legal Aid Chicago offers a comprehensive benefits package, including low-cost employer-paid health plan options, employer-provided group life and long-term disability insurance, fitness center access, generous paid time off, and much more.
- Master’s degree in Social Work
- Experience and competence working with people from diverse backgrounds including but not limited to race, gender, culture, age, language, and ability level
- Dedication to working in a multidisciplinary setting with a strong commitment to collaboration and teamwork
- Commitment to social justice
- Excellent oral and written skills and
- Internet and computer skills, including familiarity with Microsoft Office.
- Preferred applicants will have Spanish language fluency, experience working with housing navigation and domestic violence, a license in social work (LSW/LCSW), access to a car and a valid driver’s license.
Cover letter, resume, transcript (unofficial ok), and contact information of two professional references are required to apply. The position will remain open until filled. No phone calls, please.