General Statement of Duties: Reports to the Home Hospice Team Leader. Supports the hospice team by coordinating services to patients and families. Supports the home hospice team by facilitating communication between the team leader, team members, finance, patients, families, nurses and physicians.
1. Ensures a consistent high quality hospice experience for each patient and family served by facilitating the initial patient care planning and addressing immediate patient/family needs.
2. Facilitates communication between home hospice nurses and primary physicians in order to obtain timely verbal orders for medications and DME, and notify of patient deaths, discharges or withdrawals which requires:
3. Notifies team members, physicians and finance office of admissions, discharges, and changes in level of care and assures entry into the electronic medical record.
4. Coordinates services to patients and families by:
a) Scheduling home visits by therapists, specialties and physicians as requested
b) Coordination of DME and pharmacy services
5. Assures accurate and timely updates to the electronic medical record by:
a) Entering supplemental orders, DME orders and medication changes
b) Entering data in the Allscripts database including new medications and physician’s data
6. Facilitates the provision of quality patient care by communicating with appropriate staff members the receipt of faxed documentation/results/requests and distributing and filing copies appropriately.
7. Assists the home hospice team by running reports for team meetings
8. Cross trains with the Clinical Record Specialist and Admissions Facilitator
9. Provides age appropriate direct patient care as assigned which requires:
a) The ability to lift, push, pull or move patients, equipment, supplies, etc. in excess of 50 pounds with or without the use of adaptive/assistive devices
b) Current CPR certification for Healthcare Provider (BLS)
c) The ability to negotiate level and unlevel surfaces with or without the use of assistive devices
d) Knowledge of the nursing process and care planning
10. Assists with agency phone coverage
• Current license to practice in Maryland as a Licensed Practical Nurse or a Registered Nurse
• Sight, hearing and manual dexterity to function with or without prosthetics use that will enable these senses to function adequately to fulfill the requirements of the job
• The ability to utilize critical thinking skills
• Working knowledge of office equipment and patient care technology