The Healthcare Studio Director is responsible for establishing, communicating, and executing a vision for the studio, based on its market segment. This Vision should align itself with the MPS Strategic Plan. Generally acting as the mini-CEO of the studio, s/he is responsible for promoting the culture of MPS, while actively managing marketing, business development, project management, and project design processes within the healthcare studio.
Serve as the leader to the healthcare architectural studio across all office locations.
- Establish, communicate, and execute a vision for the healthcare segment.
- Act as leader of a micro-office within the macro-Firm, leading by example.
- Ensure studio organization, operation, and direction aligns with strategic plan.
- Ensure studio operation and procedures align with Firm standards and policies.
- Communicate consistently and clearly with studio members and Firm leadership.
- Prepare strategic plans for studio success.
- Act as a mentor to staff.
- Promote and ensure high ethical standards.
- Research healthcare market trends and facilitate design meetings with team.
- Travel to other offices to strengthen studio relationships.
Drive studio design.
- Oversee and review studio projects to ensure high quality, innovation, and exemplary design is created as it related to content, client requirements, overall aesthetics, detailing, etc.
- Encourage informal in-house design critiques.
- Train staff in design methods and best practices.
- Ensure QA/QC in regard to code review, technical/detailing, specifications, and lessons learned.
Promote MPS culture within studio and throughout Firm.
- Foster an environment of learning, collaboration, innovation, professional development, and communication.
- Encourage staff ownership of projects through example, communication, etc.
- Create annual and 5-year goals for the studio, with studio member input.
- Conduct formal and informal studio activities (new trends education, site visits, etc.).
- Review and advocate for individual studio members’ professional development plans.
Actively participate in the marketing and business development processes.
- Help develop and participate in proposal preparation, presentations, and interviews in conjunction with marketing staff.
- Seek out and develop business development opportunities/leads.
- Create and monitor marketing and business development plans.
- Communicate business development opportunities for studio and Firm to appropriate parties.
- Represent Firm at studio market’s professional and trade organizations.
- Hold and manage relationships with current Firm clients.
Be responsible for coordination of all project efforts, administrative and technical, to ensure the most efficient and cost-effective execution.
- Coordinate overall scheduling and staffing of studio projects, including backlog.
- Incorporate applicable construction techniques, and sequences in various projects, including all aspects of cross disciplines.
- Review fees and determine scope of project.
- Manage the financial performance of studio projects to ensure adherence to budgets.
- Oversee and prepare studio projects’ proposals and contracts.
- Monitor team members’ and consultants’ performance.
- Maintain client relationships and satisfaction.
- Exercise professional judgment in areas of contractual liability.
- Promote technology such as Revit, Newforma, Bluebeam, etc.
- Support business development activities as necessary.
- Perform other duties as directed.
- Bachelor of Architecture or equivalent
- Registered as a licensed architect
- Ten (10) years’ experience as a healthcare design professional
- Experience in a supervisory role managing a team of project managers
- Extensive experience in design and management of projects, specifically system-based and/or complex healthcare projects
- Established network of healthcare relationships
- Knowledge of estimating project needs and capable of translating them into budget hours/costs
- Ability to monitor the budget of a task or series of tasks and make necessary adjustments to keep on budget
- Clear verbal and written communication skills
- Capable of providing leadership to a team that is performing a sequence of tasks
- Ability to instill motivation to the team to meet projected milestones and capable of adjusting the procedures to keep the progress on target
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to effectively and confidently prioritize and execute tasks with many competing priorities
- Ability to absorb new ideas and concepts quickly
- Strong attention to detail
- Exceptional organizational and follow-through skills
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a multi-office team
- Ability to provide clear direction and instill motivation to a team, both in person and remotely
- Demonstrated cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel software
- Familiarity with Adobe software
- Experience with computer-aided design (CAD) software
- Firm knowledge of building technology
- Master of Architecture
- Leadership experience on projects that have won design awards
- Healthcare-specific design certification (ex. EDAC, ASHRAE, etc.)
- Experience presenting in public and/or private presentations, workshops, etc.
- Experience with Newforma Project Center
- Experience with Microsoft Project and/or Planifi Project Analyzer
- Experience with Bluebeam PDF Revu
- Experience with Autodesk Revit software
- Additional relevant certifications indicating additional expertise such as for construction administration, interior design, LEED/Green Globes/sustainability, etc.