The Office Director is responsible for establishing, communicating, and executing a Vision for the office, based on its targeted market segments and community. This Vision should align itself with the MPS Strategic Plan. Generally acting as the mini-CEO of the office, s/he is responsible for promoting the culture of MPS, while actively managing marketing/business development. The Office Director is the face of the office.
Serve as the leader to a particular community-based office.
- Establish, communicate, and execute a vision for the office.
- Act as a mentor and leader of a micro-office within the macro-Firm, leading by example.
- Act as a mentor and provide guidance to other office leadership (studio and segment leaders).
- Ensure office organization, operation, and direction aligns with strategic plan, Firm standards and policies.
- Communicate consistently and clearly with office members and Firm leadership.
- Prepare strategic plans for project success.
- Study financial performance of the office and disseminate relevant information to project managers and others as appropriate.
Actively participate in the marketing/business development process.
- Seek out and develop business development opportunities/leads.
- Create and monitor marketing/business development plan.
- Communicate marketing/business development opportunities for office and Firm to appropriate parties.
- Serve as the local face of the Firm. Represent Firm at community’s professional and trade organizations.
Be responsible for coordination of all key project efforts, administrative and technical, to ensure the most efficient and cost-effective execution.
- Coordinate overall scheduling and staffing of key projects, including backlog.
- Incorporate applicable codes, construction techniques, and sequences in key projects including all aspects of cross disciplines.
- Estimate fees and determine scope of projects.
- Manage the financial performance of key projects to ensure adherence to budgets.
- Oversee and prepare key project proposals and contracts.
- Monitor team members’ and consultants’ performance.
- Maintain client relationships and satisfaction.
- Exercise professional judgment in areas of contractual liability.
- Promote technology such as Revit, Newforma, Bluebeam, etc.
Promote MPS culture within office and throughout Firm.
- Foster an environment of learning, collaboration, innovation, professional development, and communication.
- Encourage staff ownership of projects through example, communication, etc.
- Create annual and 5-year goals for the office, with team member input.
- Encourage formal and informal office activities (lunch and learns, site visits, etc.).
Manage the operations of the office, with assistance from applicable administrative staff.
- Arrange facilities maintenance as needed.
- Ensure that equipment is operational.
- Coordinate technology needs with IT department.
- Promote and ensure high ethical standards.
- Bachelor of Architecture or equivalent
- Registered as a licensed architect
- Fifteen (15) years combined experience as a design professional
- Experience in a team supervisory role with multiple project managers
- Experience in design and management of projects
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and maintain strong business relations
- Established local network and community relationships
- Knowledge of estimating project needs and capable of translating them into budget hours/costs
- Ability to monitor the budget of a task or series of tasks and make necessary adjustments to keep on budget
- Clear verbal and written communication skills
- Capable of providing leadership to a team that is performing a sequence of tasks
- Ability to instill motivation to the team to meet projected milestones and capable of adjusting the procedures to keep the progress on target
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel software
- Familiarity with Adobe software
- Experience with computer-aided design (CAD) software
- Firm knowledge of building technology
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to effectively and confidently prioritize and execute tasks with many competing priorities
- Ability to absorb new ideas and concepts quickly
- Strong attention to detail
- Exceptional organizational and follow-through skills
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Ability to provide clear direction and instill motivation to a team
- Demonstrated cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Master of Architecture
- Leadership experience on projects that have won design awards
- Experience presenting in public and/or private presentations, workshops, etc.
- Experience with Newforma Project Center and/or Newforma Project Analyzer
- Experience with Microsoft Project, Bluebeam PDF Revu
- Experience with Autodesk Revit software
- Additional relevant certifications indicating additional expertise such as for construction administration, interior design, LEED/Green Globes/sustainability, etc.