ArtWorks’ mission is to transform people and places through investments in creativity. As one of the area’s largest employers of visual artists, our focus is on employing youth and creative professionals to collectively produce award-winning public works while developing their skills in: leadership, critical thinking, problem-solving, communication, creativity, innovation, collaboration, and goal setting. Teaching staff work side-by-side youth Apprentices ages 14-21 creating positive environments that foster youth’s interests, relationship development, and growth mindset.
Hourly Wage: $17.66
Spring program, March – May
- Orientation Dates: March 21, 22, 24 – 9am – 4pm
Summer program, June – August
- Orientation Dates: May 23, 24, 26 – 9am – 4pm
Fall program, September – December
- Orientation Dates: Late Aug TBD
Most projects will last 4-8 weeks. The length of projects may vary from project to project.
Hours vary by project. Hours are generally Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. during the summer.
- Attend all required orientations and trainings including Red Cross certification and safety training
- Come with a curiosity to learn, develop, and grow
- Participate in workshops through discussion, discovery, and utilize resources throughout projects to problem solve, develop team rapport, grow teaching skills
- Interest in developing professional skills through skill-building, networking, and career-minded workshops
- Share technical and professional skills with youth Apprentices and act as a peer role model
- Assist in coordinating and establishing group working norms, and aide in the development of ensuring positive and collaborative team dynamics
- Manage expectations set by ArtWorks and Lead Teaching Artist; adhere to ArtWorks procedures and safety protocols, take on additional responsibilities as needed to ensure the safety of the team and worksite and project execution
- Help complete project goals, achieving excellent results both in artwork quality and youth Apprentice experience
- Work with fellow staff to maintain clean workspace and equipment, as well as help conduct final cleanup and inventory all supplies
- Assist fellow Teaching Staff in leading small groups of youth Apprentices to execute the project
- Must be between 22 and 24 years of age
- Must have some arts education, training, or experience and may currently be obtaining a BFA
- Must be detail-oriented and have excellent organizational, communication, and decision-making skills
- Must demonstrate proactive leadership with the ability to take initiative and balance priorities
- Must have the desire to learn new techniques, as well as teaching skills to support varying degrees of artistic knowledge and ability.
- Ability to take direction and constructive feedback to successfully execute the project assigned
- All ArtWorks employees will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to the first day of employment. The vaccination series should be completed no later than 14 days prior to the first day of employment. Proof of vaccination or valid exemption will be required if hired. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
The successful candidate will be
- A good listener and have a positive attitude
- Empathetic, team-player, and able to create a safe and supportive workplace
- Open to feedback, learning opportunities, and self-growth
- Detail-oriented in a fast-paced environment with frequent deadlines
How to apply
You will be asked to upload the following as part of your application. Please take time to prepare these documents in advance of beginning the application.
- Five portfolio samples. Many of our opportunities are mural projects. Please include some representational painting and drawing samples in your portfolio to be considered for mural opportunities. Please combine all images into one PDF document no larger than 4MB. Upload using the additional materials button.
- Resume or CV
- Three professional references
ArtWorks is an equal opportunity employer and is strongly committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace.