We're Tovala, a food-tech company completely reinventing home cooking to save consumers time. Through an innovative combination of hardware, software, and food, we give our customers a way to enjoy really good, good-for-you meals without sacrificing time to do whatever matters to them. We've amassed a loyal, rapidly growing following in just four years, radically changing the day-to-day lives of people across the country and successfully creating a new model for the food industry. We're looking for great people to join our team of hard-working, food-loving nerds.
“If Tovala stopped existing…it would probably have as much an impact in my life as if Uber were to go away.” - Mike T., Tovala Customer
We are looking for a Software Engineering Manager to work with our applications engineering team. The Tovala applications engineering team supports all aspects of our business: both our consumer facing applications and our internal tools that help run our food operations. We have a modern tech stack: React for web apps, Kotlin for Android, Swift for iOS and services powered by Go. We have a driven and passionate team that makes products people want. Tovala is a fast growing company and our engineering team will be expanding significantly in the coming year.
The main function of this role will be to guide and support the team as we continue to grow. This role will have a high impact on the future of the engineering organization. Our engineering manager will be empowered to mentor team members and shape processes and procedures for everything from evaluation and hiring to agile and development work cycles.
About the role
- Develop career paths of team members and provide candid feedback through 1:1s and other means to help team members grow.
- Set short and long term goals and objectives for your team to meet organizational priorities.
- Work with the product team and other key stakeholders to set and meet realistic roadmap commitments.
- Resolve high-level blockers and fill gaps to enable engineers to do their best work.
- Maintain and advance our engineering culture as a high-functioning, happy team.
- Codify and continuously refine the processes and communication strategies your team uses to build and support core products.
- Establish and track team KPIs.
- Build a deep understanding of how our products work and are built. Though you will not be expected to code, you will need to fully grasp relevant code and architecture concerns.
- You love building high-quality products that customers want.
- You are empathetic and understand what motivates people.
- You enjoy coaching people and working to make them better every day.
- You understand agility and have successfully employed agile practices at the team level.
- You are comfortable working with remote employees.
- You are able to communicate with technical and non-technical stakeholders effectively.
- You are passionate, flexible, dedicated, and curious.
- You love food, whether that means cooking it, eating it, frequently pressing your nose against deli windows, or lusting after soft-serve on Instagram. All fair game.
- 5+ years as a tech lead or engineering manager with people management experience
- 5+ years software engineering experience producing web, Android, and/or iOS applications
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Experience with hiring and building out teams is a big plus
- Unlimited paid time off (with a minimum of 15 days off you HAVE to take)
- Comprehensive healthcare coverage we really invest in
- Paid maternity/paternity/family leave
- Transportation/health savings accounts
- A fully stocked kitchen with free breakfast, lunch, and snacks daily
- A free Tovala Smart Oven and discounted Tovala Meals