The Chicago Sun-Times is a distinctly Chicago news organization, with a laser focus on telling stories that matter to the working people of Chicago. We are seeking an experienced sports beat writer to cover the Chicago Cubs — a job that will require the successful candidate to break news, get the behind-the-scenes story, effectively use social media, embrace multiplatform reporting, and travel with the team.
- Provide factual, accurate, fair, and balanced coverage of the Cubs organization, including its players, front office and ownership, and Major League Baseball
- Break news, both on the Cubs and MLB
- Write a mix of stories, including “instant gamers,” analysis stories, and longer human-interest features, including features for the Sun-Times’ innovative Sports Saturday edition
- Be the face of our Cubs coverage, both in print and online through podcasts and, in some cases, video reporting
- Work with the Sun-Times audience and visual teams to develop video, infographics, and other interactive elements that engage both digital and print readers — with some of these elements to be used to promote stories on social media
- Use social media to interact with fans, including during games, and to promote one’s work
- Skills Required
- Write clearly on tight deadlines and thrive in breaking-news situations
- Produce multiple daily stories with multiple elements (text, photo, video)
- Team player with excellent news judgment
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field
- Experience covering a Major League Baseball beat for a daily news organization is a must!
- Commitment to work long hours following the team at home and on the road — and during weekends and holidays
- Ability to travel nationally and to Canada
- Proficient knowledge of social media, including Twitter and Facebook
All candidates must submit at least five work samples and a resume to be considered for this role.
Sun-Times Media Productions LLC does not discriminate in its employment decisions based on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would violate any applicable federal, state, or local law.