Organization: Jewish Family Services (JFS) supports and strengthens the Kansas City community by providing essential programs and services for individuals and families coping with crises and life’s everyday challenges. JFS is a nonprofit 501c3, non-sectarian agency, serving people of all ages, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, physical ability, religion, or socioeconomic status. We serve over 10,000 individuals annually, plus an additional 20,000 young people through our "You Be You" mental health promotional campaign in local middle and high schools. Programs include Kesher KC Food Pantries and social work services, mental health services, and older adult services.
Job Summary: We're looking for the right candidate for our Director of Marketing and Communications, a combination of proven experience in marketing and communications, and an orientation to the caring and concern that JFS has for our community. This position is responsible for JFS’s strategic marketing, earned media, and communication plans aligned with our strategic priorities. The position promotes awareness of JFS, our programs, our impact, communicating to current and potential donors, current and potential clients, the broader community, and increases JFS’s reputation as a vital human service organization in the Kansas City region.
Please include a cover letter and resume with your application.
We're looking for the right candidate with proven experience and expertise in the following areas:
- Develop and implement JFS’s strategic plan for communications and marketing.
- Manage the communications team, including a communications manager, special events coordinator, and media relations contractor.
- Guide and collaborate with program staff on program-specific marketing plans and strategies, program materials, and PR.
- Manage JFS’s brand, ensuring consistency of presentation, image, and messaging.
- Develop written, visual, and multimedia content across JFS’s channels, including website, blog, social media, newsletter, e-mail, annual report, various publications, and video channels.
- Partner with chief development officer to develop fundraising appeals and communications.
- Collaborate across communications and development to conceptualize and execute live and virtual events.
- Create and execute multi-channel marketing campaigns, with appropriate audience segmentation and targeting.
- Maintain and grow JFS social media presence, reach, and impact with dynamic strategies and data analysis.
- Manage and implement traditional media strategy to actively engage, cultivate, and manage press relationships to promote JFS, and promote staff as subject-matter experts.
- Manage outside contractors, volunteers, and interns for services such as graphic design, video production, photography, and web development and support.
- Provide communications support for the organization’s public policy priorities and initiatives.
- 5+ years of communications, marketing, and public relations experience, preferably with a non-profit organization.
- Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, MailChimp or similar email platforms, and social media .
- Proven experience with traditional, digital, and social media campaigns, content, and materials.
- Superior writing and content development skills across a variety of formats and styles.
- Knowledge of and experience in marketing strategies and graphic design; experience with digital and data-focused technologies and best practices for campaigns across multiple platforms.
- Demonstrated project management skills; highly organized, with exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to lead, inspire, and work collaboratively with team members and across the agency.
- Passionate about the mission and aligned with the guiding principles of Jewish Family Services.
JFS offers competitive salaries and great benefits including:
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Insurance
- Short & Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 3 Weeks Starting PTO
- 15-18 Paid Holidays (Federal & Jewish)
- 3 Floating Holidays
- 1/2 Price Membership at Jewish Community Center
- Free Parking
Guiding Principles: JFS is guided by five principles that inform how we engage with each other and the community we serve. The right candidate embodies these principles personally and professionally:
- B’Yachad - Stronger Together: We are stronger as an agency and a community when we think, work, and serve together.
- Being Human-Centered: We put the human experience and perspective at the center of our thinking, programming, services and interactions.
- Collaboration: We actively seek partnering opportunities within JFS and throughout our community.
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship: We respond and continually adapt to ongoing needs and changes in the Greater Kansas City area.
- Open Communication: We communicate openly, honestly, and in a solution-oriented manner.
Jewish Family Services does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.