The Tourism Data Specialist will assist the Director of Tourism Research with the management and implementation of the research plan of Visit NC. He/She will assist in the creation of reports and presentations based on ongoing analysis of tourism industry trends, industry intelligence and primary and secondary research. The position is responsible for managing the Customer Relationship Management (CRM) proprietary database system which enables relevant and personalized digital communication that encourages greater partner engagement, facilitates the interactions, revenue and in-kind tracking with partners and allows for timely and efficient reporting on partner and customer interactions.
Tourism Research duties (50%)
- Research topics and trends using a range of available data sources such as Omnitrak Travel Trak America, Tourism Economics, STR, AirDNA, KeyData, MMGY, Destination Analysts, etc.
- Collect and analyze monthly, quarterly, and annual tourism-related indicators to post on Visit NC’s partner website
- Assist Research Director in management of research section of Visit NC’s partner website
- Assist with the design, production and distribution of Visit NC’s research reports, presentations, and marketing materials such as the Visitor Profile Reports, lodging analyses, etc.
- Assist in quality control of various databases feeding into Zartico Dashboard
- Manage internal occupancy tax collection database and reconcile with Department of Revenue data
- Support ongoing and ad-hoc internal survey projects such as Visit NC partner surveys, group tour surveys, meetings/convention surveys, sports surveys, retiree surveys, etc. using appropriate survey software, tabulating results and preparing summary reports
- Prepare and send monthly co-op partner research reports
- Assist Research Director with responses to media, legislative and public requests with approval from director prior to response
- When appropriate, create information for the weekly “Newslink” eNewsletter which provides information to partners on policy issues, market trends, program, and media coverage
- Make topical presentations as needed to Visit NC and EDPNC staff and stakeholders
CRM duties (50%)
- Responsible for the daily management of the CRM database system by proactively searching for updates and ensuring accuracy
- Manage the CRM including implementation, development, troubleshooting and training of staff and partners. Must be able to develop and instruct end users on database management best practices
- Enrolls tourism-related businesses as partners into the CRM system and supports the Partner & Industry Relations and Marketing teams in connecting partner activity including financial activity, in-kind efforts, follow-up emails and phone calls as needed to accurately convey the partner participation level and need for future/ongoing engagement
- Ensures efficiency of CRM projects/tickets through each department as well as act as our CRM Vendor Liaison
- Creates accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and annual reports as needed by each department and the VP of Tourism. Creates and maintains searches for department needs. This includes but not limited to all activity reports, county reporting, etc.
- Assist with the RSVP events Module as needed for each department
- Attend CRM and industry conferences and training sessions to stay abreast of new technology and trends
- Review vendor CRM contracts and proposals to eliminate duplicate billing and/or conflicts of interest. Manages Ticketing system and tracks support hours with CRM Vendor
- Responsible for presenting data in charts, graphs, tables or for designing and developing relational databases for collecting data from the CRM
- Other duties as the supervisor deems necessary;
- Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree with focus on database management, technology marketing, or tourism management required or Associate’s degree with additional industry experience and minimum two (2) years’ experience in a related position
- Proficiency with database system, such as Salesforce or SimpleView, required
- Strong computer skills (MS Office Suite - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, CRM and EI calculators)
- Familiarity with statistical software (SPSS, SAS, R) and data visualization (Tableau) is helpful, but not required.
Because Visit NC requires accurate database records, the candidate must possess a combination of technical expertise and strong analytical skills to ensure database system integrity while employing strong interpersonal skills to engage with individual system users and industry partners in a timely manner. Individual must be organized, detail-oriented, and able to multi-task with minimal supervision.
- Mathematical Skills – Calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages; apply concepts of basic algebra.
- Reasoning Ability – Solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to identify new ways to approach old problems.
- Project Management – Develop project plans; coordinate projects; communicate changes and progress; complete projects on time and budget.
- Problem Solving – Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information skillfully; develop alternative solutions; work well in group problem-solving situations.
- Knowledge of and comfort with working in multiple database environments as well as other online/electronic programs and software, reporting, calculators, analytics, etc.
- Able to successfully collaborate with internal departments, external partners, and sub-contracted vendors while providing excellent customer service to all.
- Ability to contribute to the online/technical innovation of the organization.
- Ability to work independently as well as within cross-functional teams in a collaborative, professional environment
- Requires excellent communication skills -- both verbal and written, organizational skills -- both analytical and problem solving, and the ability to prioritize projects. Ability to manage multiple tasks and achieve deadlines under pressure.
LICENSES AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
- Valid driver’s license required
WHAT WE OFFER
In addition to our generous vacation benefits, you will be eligible to participate in our comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, and vision insurance. We also offer HSA, FSA, and Dependent Care FSA plans, as well as company-paid disability (short-term & long-term) and life insurance. You will also be eligible to participate in our 401(k) plan.