Delta Dental of Iowa invites applications for Actuarial Analyst to be responsible for calculations, data analysis, and risk evaluations to support the development of profitable pricing for dental and vision risk and self-funding products, including the review of claims reserves and assist in required rate filings. You will assist in the development and execution of accurate and efficient tools and processes to support the actuarial functions(s) related to this role. You will analyze, summarize and present management information to drive decisions. You will understand Delta Dental's financial objectives and ensure processes and work product support those objectives. You will manage multiple projects and work collaboratively with other departments, providing technical guidance as needed. This is an opportunity to use your strong passion for problem solving and a desire to constantly learn and apply new skills.
Delta Dental of Iowa provides dental and vision insurance to more than 1.5 million Iowans. As a not-for-profit insurance company, our mission is to improve the health and smiles of the people we serve. We give back to Iowa communities by supporting and funding health and wellness initiatives that make a measurable difference in the overall health of underserved Iowans. Come see why we are passionate about "Bringing Smiles" to our customers. Our team enjoys competitive pay and benefits, an awesome "One Team" approach, and a company culture that fosters "Exceptional Quality Service" and "Leadership at All Levels." Love where you work!
Essential Functions and Principal Accountabilities:
- Support pricing analysis and rate setting for small group dental, individual dental and vision products in order to achieve target underwriting margins.
- Develop strong knowledge of DDIA products, understand customer value propositions.
- Active participation in the product development process; working collaboratively with marketing product development team to establish rates for newly designed and revised product offerings.
- Assist with analysis of actual underwriting revenue and margins for all product lines and effective communication of results to all stakeholders including leadership and Board of Directors or Board committees.
- Perform data analysis to support sales, finance, marketing and other areas in their specific reporting needs.
- Support timely and accurate regulatory rate filings ensuring department knowledge and compliance with federal and state regulations.
- Assist with or perform regular forecasting, budgeting and projections for underwriting revenue and margins utilizing past data trends, judgment, and knowledge of environmental factors to reasonability estimate future financial results.
- Review and/or assist with preparation of monthly GAAP IBNR.
- Work with government program staff in analysis of experience results, review pricing for dental products offered through government sponsored programs.
- Prepare for actuarial exams, keeping a regular study program.
- Assist with special projects as required. Work individually and/or in teams to complete projects on time and with high quality. Effectively plan and prioritize your own work in accordance with broader team or department objectives and priorities.
- Effective communication with internal and external stakeholders; translating detailed analytic data into concise recommendations for peers and management.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Actuarial Science or Math, or related field, or equivalent.
- Completion of at least two SOA exams preferred.
- Desire to continue with SOA exams preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel required.
- SQL experience preferred.
- A high level of mathematical ability and attention to detail and strong analytical skills.
- Ability to perform detailed calculations and independently solve complex problems.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills required.
- Ability to multi-task and work under tight deadlines.
- Strong collaboration skills and philosophy.
Delta Dental of Iowa is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons without unlawful regard of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, individuals with disabilities, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.