The Philadelphia Cricket Club (PCC) seeks a world-class professional with significant entrepreneurial leadership and management experience to join the Club as its Director of Squash.
The Philadelphia Cricket Club is among the finest private family-oriented full-service country clubs in America. As the nation’s oldest country club, PCC has a rich sporting heritage that provides preeminent recreational and social experiences for its Members, their families and friends by maintaining exceptional standards in its facilities, programs, services and professional staff. The Club is situated on two campuses a short distance apart: Flourtown Campus, featuring two 18-hole golf courses and dining; and St. Martins Campus featuring cricket, paddle, golf, squash, tennis, swimming and dining.
Squash MissionThe Club’s Squash Mission is to deliver a comprehensive, year-round calendar of activities and events designed to engage and develop members of every age and ability, including men and women, singles and doubles, beginner, intermediate and advanced, adult and junior. To achieve the Squash Mission, the Club is committed to maintaining a world-class facility and professional staff that actively engages Members in all aspects of the game, including social, instructional, casual, competitive, internal and external play. To ensure delivery of the Squash Mission, the Club’s maintains a Squash Committee to support the staff, promote the Club’s values and preserve the Club’s traditions.
Squash ProgramThe Club’s Squash Program is housed at the St. Martins campus situated in Philadelphia’s Chestnut Hill, one of the most vibrant squash communities in the United States. The Club is an active member of the Philadelphia Squash Racquets Association and US Squash and enjoys an ultramodern squash facility featuring eight international singles courts, two hardball doubles courts, professional offices, pro shop, fitness center and a squash bar/dining area. The Squash Program currently engages approximately 150-200 individuals and is currently led by a staff of six, including the Director of Squash (retiring), Head Squash Professional (retiring), Assistant Director of Squash, two Squash Professionals, and one part-time Racquets/Pro Shop Assistant. Staff receive guidance and feedback from the Club’s Squash Committee comprised of ten individuals.
The Squash Program is tailored to meet the social and competitive needs of the Club’s Members and includes a range of men’s and women’s, singles and doubles, adult and junior in-house activities. Year-round offerings include private lessons, group clinics, training squads, internal/external leagues, Club championships and summer programs available to beginner,intermediate and advanced players. Of note, many of the Club’s junior players learn squash through introductory sessions and go on to compete in local, regional and national tournaments and at prestigious schools and colleges. Recent marquee events hosted by the Club include: 2017 U.S. Open Squash Championships-Qualifiers; 2018 S.L. Green Men’s U.S. Closed Singles Championships; 2018 U.S. Women’s Closed Singles Championships; 2018 U.S. Open Age Group Masters Singles Championships; 2018 U.S. National Doubles Squash Championships and 2018 U.S. High School Team Squash Championships, 2018 U.S. Women’s Team “Howe Cup” Championship.
Director of Squash
Ideal candidates will have a proven track-record of playing, coaching, managing and operating a year-round, full-service squash program and facility at the highest level of the sport. Candidates will have excellent entrepreneurial and mission-driven execution skills with a willingness to go the extra mile to offer club members exceptional services. The Philadelphia Cricket Club is an equal opportunity employer offering competitive salary and benefits.
CompensationCompensation package has multiple components (salary; pro shop ownership; instruction; etc.), most of which are negotiable. It is expected the total compensation package will be commensurate with The Cricket Club’s position as one of the pre-eminent squash facilities in the country.
Proposed Start Date - June 2019
The Director of Squash’s primary duties include, but are not limited to:
• Enthusiastically build, support and share in the Club’s Squash Mission to deliver a year-round singles and doubles squash program for Members (and their families) of every age and ability;
• Design a year-round program that provides multiple opportunities for Members to engage in social, instructional, casual, competitive, internal and external play;
• Effectively engage and inspire both new and veteran Members;
• Proactively communicate, follow up and respond to Member needs and requests;
• Monitor and provide periodic reports and opportunities for feedback on Member engagement, court/facility usage, and recommendations for growth;
• Demonstrate and teach sportsmanship and teamwork to create strong core values and a sense of community;
• Advocate for the Club’s interests in local, regional and national squash communities, including US Squash, Philadelphia Squash Racquets Association, peer clubs and schools;
• Manage administrative aspects of the program, including strategy, marketing, budgeting, member billing, communications, technology, social media, tournaments/events, and facility needs;
• Adhere to and help enforce Club policies, including all-white attire, mandatory eyewear, guest privileges, food-and-beverage policies, etc.;
• Manage a talented and cohesive staff that delivers on all aspects of the program;
• Work collaboratively with the Club’s Squash Committee;
• Serve on and work collaboratively with the Club’s Senior Council (i.e. staff management group), providing direction and vision for the overall Club operations;
• Work collaboratively with Club staff and departments – including admissions, fitness, tennis, paddle, golf, food-and-beverage – to ensure well-rounded Member experiences;
• Report directly to the General Manager of the Club’s St. Martins campus.
• Valid US work visa is preferred but not required.
Qualified candidates should submit Cover Letter, Resume and names/contact information for three Professional References by February 28, 2019 to:
The Philadelphia Cricket Clubc/o Laura Robinson, Director of Human Resourceslrobinson@philacricket.com
Candidate interviews are projected for March/April. Please do not submit application materials after February 28th and please do not contact Club Members or Staff with inquiries about the position.
Thank you for your interest in The Philadelphia Cricket Club!