Animal Friends is looking for a highly motivated, organized, and detail-oriented person to support our growing accounting needs. Under the direction of the CFO, the Staff Accountant is responsible for accounts receivable, data management, and other accounting support. Additionally they are responsible for all activities necessary to process payrolls, including maintaining related records, processing involuntary deductions such as levies and garnishments, preparing accounting transactions and documents, documenting and updating procedures, and preparing special reports for management. They should also embrace, emulate, support, and carry out the organization’s vision, mission, and workplace culture.
By joining the Animal Friends team, the successful candidate's work will directly impact our lifesaving mission and help us to create a more compassionate community for all of our animal friends. We also provide unique benefits for our animal loving team including free adoptions, discounted veterinary care, and animal training as well as generous PTO and health benefits, and flexible work schedules.
- Ensures timely processing of payroll, including off-cycle payroll processing, in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Processes monthly and fiscal year-end reports and reconciles W-2 and 1099 information for accuracy.
- Reports errors in payroll accounting to the proper management representative.
- Documents any discrepancies in payroll processing to maintain a clear record of reconciliation and adjustments.
- Ensures accuracy of 1094 and 1095-Cs.
- Manage all accounts receivable. Record all income in QuickBooks.
- Assist with the creation and data verification of automatic feeds of data from other systems into QuickBooks.
- Maintains updated procedure manual for all job responsibilities and assists in training of other staff on the payroll system (Paylocity) to troubleshoot general user questions or basic technical issues.
- Process confidential information, maintaining strict confidentiality and discretion.
- Ensure accurate, daily reconciliation, classification, documentation, and tracking in QuickBooks.
- Prepare monthly journal entries to mark-to-market the endowment fund and quarterly journal entries for assets held in trust.
- Assist with monthly closing process including the entering of month-end journal entries, the monthly reconciliation of bank accounts, and the analysis/reporting of assigned departments.
- Assist with the creation of the budget and bi-monthly net income forecasts for assigned departments.
- Assess and validate the accuracy of data captured in QuickBooks during monthly closing process and via other synced system feeds.
- Provide senior management with data compilation, reports, and other analysis to assess department and organizational financial performance.
- Complete special projects as required.
- Assist with the preparation and analysis of the schedules required for the annual audit.
- Cross-train with other accounting staff to support staff absences/vacancies. Collaborate and communicate with other departments as needed.
- Perform other duties as required and assigned.
- Excellent, demonstrated knowledge of QuickBooks and Microsoft Office Suite products.
- Outstanding analytical and troubleshooting skills. Able to multi-task, prioritize assignments, and meet deadlines.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- Must be organized, detail oriented, and self-motivated with strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Must have discretion and must be able to maintain the strictest of confidence.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team, capable of building strong internal and external working relationships.
- Minimum of 3 years accounting, accounts receivable, accounts payable, or similar experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business, or similar field
- Experience using Paylocity and QuickBooks preferred
- Experience in the non-profit sector preferred
- Intermediate to advanced skills in Microsoft Excel
- Demonstrated related experience may be substituted for preferred education.
- Must be able to pass all pre-employment clearances, professional reference checks, and assessments.
- Animal Friends operates seven days a week. The successful candidate may be required on occasion to work flexible shifts and overtime as needed, however Animal Friends is also willing to consider flexible and remote schedules that support the successful candidate as well as fulfill the needs of the organization.
- Must be comfortable working with or around dogs, cats, and rabbits.