Peju Winery is a family owned and operated winery located in Rutherford, in the heart of Napa Valley. Farming organically and sustainably, our estate-grown fruit develops into award winning wines that exhibit a graceful pairing of power and elegance. We are a Certified Green Winery committed to protecting the environment, providing extraordinary wines and customer service, and recruiting smart, talented people to work with us!
This position is responsible for performing all cellar duties and ensuring wine quality, efficiency and safety are always performed in the winery.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs tank measurements and conversions. Know location and capacity of all tanks.
- Performs tank additions according to Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), including addition calculations.
- Completes stainless steel wine activities such as tank racking/transfer, additions, finning.
- Performs all cellar sanitation according to SOP, including tank washing, steam cleaning, floor washing, barrel washing, ozonator operation and SO2 gassing.
- Performs sanitation practices on tanks (interior and exterior) and wine equipment including pumps, hoses, sumps, miscellaneous equipment and facility floors, drains, etc
- Calibrations oxygen meter and performance of oxygen checks, CO2 blanketing and N2 headspace sparging. Understand the CO2 manifold system.
- Operates all cellar equipment, including filters, presses, and all processing and crush equipment
- Completes harvest related activities such as operations drain/press, pump over, juice racking etc.
- Perform barrel work, including filling and disgorging, set up and using barrel line, bar code scanning, operation and daily safety checks on the forklift and familiarity with the humidity system.
- Completes all routine and complex barrel work such as (filling, pump out, repairs, empty barrel maintenance, topping, barrel to barrel)
- Perform daily check to selected forklift prior to operating
- Shipping and receiving of bulk wine, including operation of scale and accurate completion of all necessary paperwork.
- Performs all inventories, including bulk wine tanks, chemicals, and barrels. Know barrels by type, cooper, vintage and location.
- Evaluates all methods and SOP and bring suggestions for improvement to the attention of the Cellar Supervisor.
- Assist in development of new cellar practices and procedures.
- Comprehends, adheres and executes PEJU established cellar procedures
- Maintains a safe working environment, shares information and works as a team player.
- This position is responsible for understanding hazardous material and safety procedures and adhering to these procedures when and where applicable.
- Teach and assist in the development of the less experienced Cellar Technicians.
- Knowledge of all wine additives and their proper use and handling.
- Adds chemicals/sulphur/additives as required.
- AA degree or equivalent education preferred.
- Three years of Cellar experience
- Hands on working knowledge of cellar machinery including pumps (air, positive displacement, centrifugal, flexible) gas regulators, DO meter, thermostats, tank washers, assembling of (tank valves, tank breathers), sulfur dispenser, pressure washer etc.
- Understands the operation of air compressors, hot water system, heat exchanger, hot/cold glycol system
- Possesses the knowledge and practice of all pressure gasses including the calibration and operation of the DO meter
- Capable of programming tank thermostat with the proper settings, which also includes settings of all glycol manual valves.
- Strong basic math skills including ratio and percentages. Ability to make basic math calculations including but not limited to percentages and ratios.
- Basic English skills, both written and verbal preferred
- Strong communication skills
- Must be able to regularly lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a standing position for long periods of time and to lift 40lbs. repeatedly for periods of up to 1/2 hour.
- Willingness to work overtime, especially at harvest.
- Ability to work harmoniously with co-workers and perform duties and responsibilities in a manner consistent with the company’s value of exhibiting the highest quality standards in all endeavors.
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and deliver quality work product
- Strong attention to detail