A benefits specialist handles all inquiries about company insurance and retirement benefits, ensures that employees receive the proper benefits package, follows up with health care providers and investment brokers, and consults with managers and company President about newly available benefits and insurance plans. The HR & Benefits Specialist under the leadership of the Director of HR is responsible for billing and invoice processing and administration of agency provided benefit plans and third-party plans, i.e., AFLAC, Legal Shield. The HR & Benefits Specialist formulates partnerships across the HR function and organization to deliver value added service to departments to ensure accuracy and timeliness of the billing process.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBIILTIES:
· Process various paperwork, especially regarding disability, FMLA absences, and employee life status changes.
· Advise employees, answering questions, and enrolling staff in benefit and compensation programs.
· Research, analyze, and administer healthcare plans and wellness programs, from medical and dental benefits to disability and family leave.
· Demonstrates broad knowledge of the variety and structure of retirement plans, from pensions to 401(k)’s to IRAs and Roth IRA’s.
· Possesses knowledge of the laws surrounding benefits and compensation for employers.
· Demonstrates broad knowledge of different health insurance plans, including CDHPs, HMOs and PPOs.
· Able to translate legal, medical, and insurance-related jargon into layman’s terms for clarification purposes.
· Demonstrates ability to conduct independent research into new benefits plans and changes to insurance and healthcare regulations.
· Assist with annual benefit projects such as open enrollment and 401(k) audits.
· Provide support in compliance with all federal and state laws related to benefit offerings and reporting such as ERISA, COBRA, HIPAA, Section 125 and ACA.
· First contact with all Workers’ Compensation Claims. Questionnaires regarding injuries, follow up with medical bills and employee pay history reports.
· Manage the FMLA and LOA process. Send out requested paperwork to employees and track status through the leave process.
· Capable of reading, interpreting, and explaining insurance invoices.
· Exhibits ability to maintain relationships with insurance and healthcare providers.
SKILLS AND SPECIFICATIONS:
·Research and analytical skills.
·Strong organizational and time management skills.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills. Must be able to communicate effectively in person, in writing and virtually.
·Knowledge of employee benefits and laws.
·Exhibits solid organizational skills.
·Must be proficient with a variety of online and computer technologies; particularly Microsoft Windows environment, Adobe systems and demonstrated skills in database management.
· Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently. Must be able to demonstrate project management skills to produce quality, timely, and complete work product.
· Ability to always exhibit professionalism.
· Ability to work under pressure and prioritize to meet deadlines.
· Must be discrete and professional, particularly when handling confidential information.
The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
· Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business or related field is required.
· Three to five years or related work experience in HR or benefits is preferred.
· SHRM Certification (recommended)
The above functions are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed in this role. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities of the position.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: No
OTHER: Background check and drug screen required. Salary commensurate with experience.